New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Change MacBook Pro keyboard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TrevWonders

TrevWonders is on a distinguished road

I would like to get a used 2006 MacBook Pro (MA610LL/A) off of eBay to replace my 2005 Apple iBook G4, because I cannot afford a brand new MacBook Pro and this will still be a MAJOR upgrade!

But..I don't like the keyboard style. I want it to have the spaced-out keys like on the new MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. The really thin, awesome feeling, key style used in all of Apple's keyboards now. But this MacBook has the old-larger keys like most PCs still use, and like my iBook still has.

If I purchase an old MacBook Pro, is it possible to buy a newer MacBook Pro keyboard (with the spaced backlit keys) and put it in this MacBook (in place of the old keyboard) and it still work? That way I would have an older MacBook, with the new style keyboard? Or will that not work?

Because I saw a 2007 MacBook Pro on eBay that looked just like the 2006, but it had the black spaced new style keyboard? I looked at more 2007s and the rest of them still had the old style keyboard that was the same as the 2006 MacBook Pro, which leads me to believe it is possible to replace the old style keyboard with one belonging to a newer MacBook Pro? Does anyone know if it's possible to do that and it still work? Please let me know! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevWonders View Post

If I purchase an old MacBook Pro, is it possible to buy a newer MacBook Pro keyboard (with the spaced backlit keys) and put it in this MacBook (in place of the old keyboard) and it still work? That way I would have an older MacBook, with the new style keyboard? Or will that not work?
Short & simple answer...I'm 99.999% sure it cannot be done. The "silver-keyed" MacBook Pro's & the "black-keyed" MacBook Pro's are totally different designs (old design vs. the Unibody design). So the parts are different...would not fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevWonders View Post
Because I saw a 2007 MacBook Pro on eBay that looked just like the 2006, but it had the black spaced new style keyboard?
I do not believe that the "black" keyboards showed up in Apple laptops until sometime in 2008 (mid to late 2008). So if you saw a 2007 MacBook Pro with black keys...my guess is...it was misidentified as a 2007 model.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Laptop | Can I connect my Dell external monitor »