Thread: Liquid damage

Liquid damage
    Hi all,

2011 macbook pro unibody, water spilt on keyboard -.-

First off no warranty obviously so have taken apart and cleaned thoroughly with alcohol.
    the unit works but the backlight has failed, I can shine a torch/flashlight through and see the screen and can also use an external monitor,

I want to repair this at component level if possible (I simply cant afford to replace the logic board).
    Any advice on what to look for? what part? which fuses and how to check etc?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by rizzo1987 View Post
    Any advice on what to look for?
    If the logic board is the problem...there's nothing for you to repair. You either replace the logic board...or buy a new computer. Logic boards are simply NOT repairable by the end-user.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

but surely if the fuse is blown it can be replaced or it can be bypassed? I appreciate what you're saying but its not getting that much money spent! its a fully functioning desktop but i want the screen /sigh

Specs:
    but surely if the fuse is blown it can be replaced or it can be bypassed?
    What the heck "fuse" are you even talking about...or you think even exists?? What makes you think there is a fuse?

Do you really think that this is the first time we've had someone post a question about a liquid damaged MacBook/MacBook Pro??? If there was an easy fix...it would have already been mentioned.

I appreciate what you're saying but its not getting that much money spent! its a fully functioning desktop but i want the screen /sigh
    Sorry...I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about with with this statement???

I thought we were talking about a liquid spilled laptop...I don't know what you mean about a desktop...fully functioning...and wanting the screen.

The bottom line is (as I already mentioned)...is if the logic board on your MacBook Pro was damaged due to a liquid spill...you cannot cannot fix it!

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    As Nick has said, the damage is very likely to the logic board. Your 2011 MBP does not use an inverter for the LCD backlight since the backlight is LED lighted.

Also, you probably did more damage to the logic board by cleaning with alcohol which is detrimental to circuit boards. Replacing the logic board will approach the cost of a new MBP. Unless you have some sort of accidental damage insurance coverage, I'm afraid your 2011 MBP is a write off.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Also, you probably did more damage to the logic board by cleaning with alcohol which is detrimental to circuit boards.
    Yeah...I was going to mention this as well. Definitely agree...not a very good idea to clean logic boards with alcohol.

- Nick

Specs:
    Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
    Hi all,

2011 macbook pro unibody, water spilt on keyboard -.-

First off no warranty obviously so have taken apart and cleaned thoroughly with alcohol.
    the unit works but the backlight has failed, I can shine a torch/flashlight through and see the screen and can also use an external monitor,

I want to repair this at component level if possible (I simply cant afford to replace the logic board).
    Any advice on what to look for? what part? which fuses and how to check etc?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

I had the same problem with a white macbook,I replaced the top case keyboard & worked like a charm..you might be able do the same..

Thread Information