New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Access Denied

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

illuminatus

Warning!! Warning!! New Mac User Alert!!!

Thought it best to let warn you.

Just tried to reinstall Palm Desktop 4.0 onto my Powerbook running OS X so I can sync my Sony Clie (after installing the Missing Sync 3.0 software, finding that it didn't work thought that a reinstallation of Desktop might be a good place to start). First thing I noticed was that the installer asked me where I wished to put the software, which I hadn't noticed with anything else I'd put on the machine. Then came the typical 'Your Mac may need restarting...'. Fine. Then up popped a little warning message telling me 'Sorry, the operation could not be completed due to a System error: (Access Denied).

The only other thing that I noticed was that it didn't ask me for my system admin username and password before installing the software, as it has done with everything else I've worked with. I tried to install another piece of software after Desktop 4.0 and it worked fine.

Could anyone help me? The software was downloaded and I've tried downloading again just in case the original was corrupt, to no avail. I just can't seem to get past it. Classic OS is installed if anyone thinks I should run it under OS 9. Any suggestions let me know.

Cheers

ibm
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

have you tried using iSync?

QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

err... Ide agree with mac addikt.
QUOTE Thanks
illuminatus

That's nice.

Unfortunately, the problem is the Sync software (iSync or Missing Sync) it's the Palm Desktop software, which is a prerequisite for both. So to get back to the original problem, any suggestions on how to resolve the installation issue I have with Palm Desktop 4.0?

Cheers Again
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of

Are you logged in as the computer owner?
QUOTE Thanks
illuminatus

aye, I am indeed.

Thing is that the installation of any other software works fine. Asks for username and password before installation and everything. Just this one piece of software (Desktop 4.0) causing problems. This obviously isn't a well known problem, which leads me to believe that it's my inexperience as a Mac user that's 'causing the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

I don't think its your inexperience, there arn't any special tricks you need to know, to operate a mac with skill... pretty much what you think it will do, it will do.

Try to explain it in more detail... step by step.. I may have missed something and just assumed.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light

have you checked for updates of this software from the makers website? or check Version Tracker or Macupdate for alternative software or updates?

this was just posted on macupdate:
The Missing Sync Updater X 3.0.5

QUOTE Thanks
illuminatus

'kay, step by step....

...bought Mac, pleased as punch with pretty box and pretty GUI....fast forward....

Wanted to sync my Clie, found that it's not supported under Mac, and that an piece of interpreting software was required in the form of Missing Sync.

Read the documentation, saw that Palm Desktop 4.0 was a prerequisit before installing Missing Sync, so downloaded that and installed it.

Bought Missing Sync via download, upon completion, stuffit extracted and installed the software.

Connected Clie, ran HotSync (part of Palm Desktop)....nothing happened....ah I thought to myself, it's not working (you did ask for step by step .

Thought that a reinstall of Palm Desktop might be a good idea, so ran the installation program.

(This is the bit where it all went **** up.)

First thing I noticed was that the installer asked me where I wished to put the software, which I hadn't noticed with anything else I'd put on the machine. Then came the typical 'Your Mac may need restarting...'. Fine. Then up popped a little warning message telling me 'Sorry, the operation could not be completed due to a System error: (Access Denied).

The only other thing that I noticed was that it didn't ask me for my system admin username and password before installing the software, as it has done with everything else I've worked with. I tried to install another piece of software after Desktop 4.0 and it worked fine.

Could anyone help me? The software was downloaded and I've tried downloading again just in case the original was corrupt, to no avail. I just can't seem to get past it. Classic OS is installed if anyone thinks I should run it under OS 9. Any suggestions let me know.

Please note to people reading since some confusion has arisen, the problem is not with Missing Sync, but with Palm Desktop.

Thanks to all and sundry
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

searched macupdate again and found this:

Palm4Fix 1.2.3

Palm4Fix fixes an error in which some users were unable to sync their Palm devices with Mac OS 9 due to an error "#1852402768"
it OS9 (classic) only.

and just as an OS X tip, not all software will need you to be logged in as an administrator. I think almost all apple software does though.

QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Hmm... where did you install it? Applications (probly where ide put it).. ive gota Palm, i have an early iMac 233 with IR port so i just use that to sync.. and its OS9 i use... there really shouldn't be much of a diff between OSX and OS9 installation only OS9 is a tad less stable, and you have complete control over everything.

Ide probly try something dumb like when I read "This macintosh requires restarting" ide go to finder, blue apple "force quit", and force quit the app, and manully restart. Although most mac apps give you a option to click cancle after you installed it, or continue, and ide quit from there...
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

Possibly it tried to write to a protected directory for some reason. Activate the root user and log in as that. To activate the root account: Go into netinfo manager (in utilities). In the menu choose "Domain -> Security -> Authenticate" then "Domain -> Security -> Enable Root User" - it varies slightly for the different versions of X, but if you can't find it look around a bit in the menus. After entering a root password, you have to turn the option to log in as 'other user' or whatever it is so you can type the login name at login instead of selecting it from a list. Be warned, the root account has no restrictions, therefore you can potentially wreck your computer very easily. My advice is to turn it back off when you are finished with it.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

I am even a lil worried about login in as root, but that is a good suggestion.

I think we are all a little bit clueless on this one..
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

Quote:
Originally posted by Graphite@Mar 1 2003, 07:47 PM
I think we are all a little bit clueless on this one..
ya, ive never owned a PDA, so i cant really help from experience

QUOTE Thanks
illuminatus

tried it, no joy I'm afraid. Looks like it's a 'System Error' problem rather than a 'Access Denied' issue.

I'll see what Palm say if they get back to me.

Thanks anyway
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to Apple products: help me chose proper specs! | Powerbook Anyone? »