connecting an old 24" cinema display to a new 17" macbook pro

I'm having an issue connecting an old 24" cinema display to a new 17" macbook pro. I don't know how to do it, I don't understand how the Cinema display gets power. Ive got a adapter that plugs into the pins on the old 24" and connects to the thunderbolt on the macbook, but nothing happens

When I plug apples latest monitor in (it it a works one) It has a its own power supply and charges the macbook and works great

Please help

12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Most Apple monitors take a regular old 3-prong computer power cable. Your local electronics shop should have one for five bucks or so.

HOWEVER, If this is an old ADC-connector display, what you'd need would be two adapters: a mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter, and a DVI to ADC adapter. Unfortunately, they don't make DVI to ADC adapters anymore, so the only way to get one would be to buy a used one. They were expensive when new ($150) and are even more expensive now that they're so hard to find.

It would probably be cheaper to buy a brand-new LCD monitor than one of those adapters.

West Virgina
    See Signature
    I'd Buy the monitor?!?!?!?
    [Main Laptop/Computer] [April 2006] 17" MacBook Pro | 2.33GHz C2D | 4GB DDR2 RAM | 120GB Intel 320 SSD | Lion 10.7.5

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11
    What type of connector does the display have? Apple used their own ADC (Apple Direct Connect) on Studio Displays. Looks like a DVI connector but will not fit and carries power, USB etc. all in the one connection. The display goes on and off with the computer.

So far as using adapter not really worth it. They were over $100 ten years ago and are slow by todays standards.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information