New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How much is my old MacBook worth?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jnnfrths

jnnfrths is on a distinguished road

Hello, just got a new MacBook Pro today and have an old MacBook I will hopefully be able to sell.

It's a late 2008 13" MacBook, I have the original box with instructions, the charger and extender, and the original battery (and a replacement battery from Apple that I got in 2012).

It no longer charges and Apple said they'd charge me $300 to fix it, my dad didn't think it was worth that much anymore so I got a new one instead.

Everything works perfectly fine, it just doesn't charge anymore. There are a few scratches on the front and back, and a tiny dent too. Here's a picture of its information:

(sorry for the horrible iPhone pic)

I'm asking 1) how much would I be able to sell it for with everything that it came with, including the old battery that dies in like 5 minutes?
2) how much would I be able to sell it for with everything that it came with, including the new extra $120 Apple battery?
3) Do you think it would be better for me to try to sell it with both batteries instead of just the old one?

Thank you. One of my friends wants to buy it from me, and says her uncle is good at fixing computers, but I don't want to give her too high or low of a price.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Both on 10.9.2 ~ iPhone5 iOS 7.1 ~ iPad Mini 7.1 ~ ATV2 6.0.1

Hi there.

Mac2Sell - Guide to used Mac, iPad, iPhone & iPod - Evaluation - Argus Mac, iPod, iPad, iPhone Occasion puts your particular machine at $290 USD. Thats not with knowledge of a new battery but in times like this i think you need to bite the bullet.
Using this as a guide only i reckon you could squeeze $350-400 out of it but thats just me.
At least now with this info you can make a decision that you will be happy with

HTH some

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
"Can't innovate any more, my ***" Phil Schiller
QUOTE Thanks
jnnfrths

Thank you!! I kinda figured it wouldn't be worth much over $300. The link is helpful too!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnfrths View Post
It no longer charges and Apple said they'd charge me $300 to fix it, my dad didn't think it was worth that much anymore so I got a new one instead.

Everything works perfectly fine, it just doesn't charge anymore.
I would like to mention that...everything cannot be working fine...if the battery cannot be charged. This is a pretty big deal with a laptop computer. Apple wouldn't be charging $300 to fix it if everything worked perfectly fine.

A new battery costs $129...so a $300 charge for repairs is certainly to replace something in the charging system that isn't working (probably the I/O board).

As already mentioned...this MacBook is probably worth around $300-$400 (probably closer to $300)...IF...it was working 100%. So if it's going to take $300 to fix it so it works 100%...you can do the math...and see how much this computer is REALLY worth (much less than $300) to a "non-FixIt person".

It certainly has some value. If you found someone to buy it that was a DIY FixIt person...I would say it's worth around $200 (maybe $225).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jnnfrths

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I would like to mention that...everything cannot be working fine...if the battery cannot be charged. This is a pretty big deal with a laptop computer. Apple wouldn't be charging $300 to fix it if everything worked perfectly fine.

A new battery costs $129...so a $300 charge for repairs is certainly to replace something in the charging system that isn't working (probably the I/O board).

As already mentioned...this MacBook is probably worth around $300-$400 (probably closer to $300)...IF...it was working 100%. So if it's going to take $300 to fix it so it works 100%...you can do the math...and see how much this computer is REALLY worth (much less than $300) to a "non-FixIt person".

It certainly has some value. If you found someone to buy it that was a DIY FixIt person...I would say it's worth around $200 (maybe $225).

- Nick
Apple originally did something that cost $56 but didn't work, and said the next thing would be over $300. My friend who's interested in the computer said her uncle can fix computers and she doesn't know anything about Apples herself so $200-$300 will be what I'll ask for it. Thanks for all the advice!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook white won't login? | Please help! My macbook wont turn on »