New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Hard Drive Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pipsxx

Pipsxx is on a distinguished road

My son spilt a glass of water over our macbook and its died!!! How can I take the information from the hard drive?

I don't have another macbook to transfer the information onto, can anyone help me please?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipsxx View Post
My son spilt a glass of water over our macbook and its died!!! How can I take the information from the hard drive?
Probably...but you're going to need another computer to transfer the info.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Pipsxx

I asked this question a while ago but have been major hassle trying to access my account!!!!

My son spilt a glass of water over our macbook and its died!!! Am I able to remove the information from the Hard Drive?

I don't have another macbook to transfer the information onto but I have an Acer laptop, can anyone help me please?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

My son spilt a glass of water over our macbook and its died!!! Am I able to remove the information from the Hard Drive?
Most likely it is possible to get the info from that hard drive (assuming it wasn't damaged in the spill)...but you're most likely going to need to remove the hard drive from the MacBook, and install it into an external drive case...before the info can be accessed by another computer.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Threads merged.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Pipsxx

Thank you, willI I be able to use a normal hard drive reader or do I need a specific mac type or cables?

Sorry, never had any experience on macs before and not knowledgable at all. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thank you, willI I be able to use a normal hard drive reader...
What do you mean by a "normal hard drive reader"?

I mentioned above that you would need to remove the hard drive from the MacBook...then install the hard drive into an external hard drive case (the 2.5" variety for laptop HD's).

These days...most external hard drive cases are usually the SATA format. Most of these external HD cases have a USB cable...so you just need a computer with a USB port...preferably another Mac to be able to "see" things properly.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Pipsxx

It is a SATA reader that I have, connectable to another computer with a usb. Unfortunately I do not have another mac that I can connect it to. Is there a program that I can use to be able to read the documents and save them onto my portable hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you will be trying to read the Mac files from a Windows machine you will need something like MacDrive MacDrive Haven't used it myself but there are not many other options that I am aware of.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Pipsxx

Have managed to get the hard drive out and placed it in my reader, unfortnately nothing happened. Is there any other way that I can get the information off the hard drve? There are some really important photos that I could use (hubby isnt happy that I trashed his mac anyway and now I canny do anything to fix it!!!)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Sounds like your only option may be a commercial recovery company. That will cost thousands!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Copying bootable clone to refurb MPB | I deleted "All MY Files" Folder and now outlook has no emails »