New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Sudden Death

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

malikirl

malikirl is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum so bear with me once I get the hang of it!
Basically, My dear MacBook has suddenly died. It won't turn on and when plugged the charger in there is a light at the bottom of the laptop, but it just won't turn on. Went to the Apple store and the guy tried different things to boot it up , even tried "Jump Starting it" however that didn't help either. He said that most likely it's the Motherboard/Logicboard that has given out and needs to be replaced. He quoted me nearly 400 for that and said it only comes with 3 months warranty so I am not too keen on paying that!! Anyone any ideas of other things that I can try and get it running again ?

Cheers,

MalikIRL
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

1. attempt to find a good logic board that exactly fits your model and do the replacement yourself for something that "may" work.
2. take it to a small-time computer repair shop, pay them the same as Apple for something that "may" work.
3. take it back to Apple, pay the 400 for something that will work.
4. just get a new laptop for a few hundred more.

That is about all you have...

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
malikirl

malikirl is on a distinguished road

Yeah well I kinda figured as much on my own!!
Just thought there might be something else, like if this has happened to anyone else, how did they fix it and all that!!
But guess thanks anyway
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by malikirl View Post
Yeah well I kinda figured as much on my own!!
Obvious question...obvious answer!

If you already took to Apple..and they diagnosed it with a bad logic board...there's no "secret" way to make a dead logic board work again.

It kind of like having a rotten piece of fruit...and asking how can it be made it fresh again...can't do it!

Dead is dead when it comes to electronics.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine HD Not Recognized. Now, Kernel Panics | MacBook display has short »