New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

External hard drive not recognised in migration assistant.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rippersroo

rippersroo is on a distinguished road

I've just had a new hard drive in my MacBook. Luckily I had backed up everything to an external hard drive before the mac went wrong.
When I got home the mac started as new but when I got to the part to set up my mac from another device, and plugged in my external HD it was not listed.
I had to continue as a new set up thinking I could maybe set up later.
I updated the software, installed snow leopard, and updated again then tried to use migration assistant. Again it is not recognised it just has the spinning circle as if it is searching/waiting to find my external HD.
I don't understand why this is not working as the external HD shows up on the desktop and I can view the files in it.
I've seen some people said you can drag and drop, but I want to set up the computer with all my settings etc as it was before.
I know the external HD works as I used it to back up and set up as new when I installed snow leopard on my mac previously.
If anyone knows what I can do I would really appreciate it as my nearest apple store is 30 miles away, and I've had to go there and back twice already this week when having the new HD fitted!
Thanks in advance.
Vicki
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Did you use Time Machine to backup your data to the external hard drive from your old drive? If you did, you should have been able to select Time Machine to migrate your data and settings when you setup the new drive. If the drive mounts to the desktop and you can see your files, there's really no reason why the Migration Assistant app isn't recognizing the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
rippersroo

rippersroo is on a distinguished road

No I didn't have that time machine icon on the mac before. That was the option I chose though as it said "use time machine or other device" obviously because I have the "other device"
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

I am in the same boat as you are, will be visiting apple store pretty soon.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Now that liquid has damaged the logic board | Broken screen and clamshell not working! »