New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?" Thread

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Eveline

Eveline is on a distinguished road

Thanks for connecting my questions to the right thread. I read a lot of the advices before I asked my question on the forum. And I can understand that the general information also concerns me. Its just that I felt I wanted to ask to be more sure even and I really need to work and wasn't sure if it hurts the computer. think I should take "let it dry" literally and not work w/ it.
QUOTE Thanks
Eveline

That was a very fast re-direction! Thanks. As this is my first time I was a bit lost. ..
Thanks for connecting my questions to the right thread. I read a lot of the advices before I asked my question on the forum. And I can understand that the general information also concerns me. Its just that I felt I wanted to ask to be more sure even and I really need to work and wasn't sure if it hurts the computer. think I should take "let it dry" literally and not work w/ it.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveline View Post
That was a very fast re-direction! Thanks. As this is my first time I was a bit lost. ..
I understand and appreciate your concern.

Unfortunately, liquid exposure is a complete crap shoot and the advice in the first post applies nearly universally. The best thing you can do is to let the machine dry out, removed from power, for as long as possible. The result is anybody's guess. Best case scenario is that the machine behaves normally once the liquid dries. Worst case is that one of several, very expensive components is shorted out or damaged in some way.

In all cases, the machine is no longer covered under warranty unless it is repaired by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP). Unless the machine is very new, the repair will typically exceed the value of the machine.

This is just one of those things that is better prevented than trying to recover from. It stinks, I get it, but it's a fact of life with computers.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
DaiseyMoonshine

DaiseyMoonshine is on a distinguished road

"I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?"

I would probably kill myself, lol
QUOTE Thanks
Adavies2

Adavies2 is on a distinguished road

Last night my friend spilt a small amount of beer on my brand newac nook, the spill was mainly on the hinge of the laptop but a bit went on the keyboard. I know this sort of thing is posted all the time but I just want to know how long till I give up hope of it working and take it the Apple store and what do I do in the mean time??
Thanks
Alex
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adavies2 View Post
Last night my friend spilt a small amount of beer on my brand newac nook, the spill was mainly on the hinge of the laptop but a bit went on the keyboard. I know this sort of thing is posted all the time but I just want to know how long till I give up hope of it working and take it the Apple store and what do I do in the mean time??
Thanks
Alex
Give it 72 hours powered off (potentially longer in humid conditions). In the meantime, I recommend prayer and lots of it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Eveline

As to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I understand and appreciate your concern..
i let it dry more than 72 hours and switched it on today; the laptop; seems to be working . Some of the letters on the keyboard sound really sticky. Any tip for this? Starting up lasts longer, but further, so far so good. hope this stays this way.
QUOTE Thanks
mathpop

mathpop is on a distinguished road

I spilled a few drops of water on my laptop, so I turned it off and I let it alone for a day or so. The next day I turned on my laptop and I learned that the following keys weren't working:0,9,o,l,.,command, and option. (all on the right hand side)The problem is that I need the "l" key to log on to my computer because my username includes an "l". Its been three days now, what should I do?
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

Mikeo1938 is on a distinguished road

My post of 08-04-2012 in this thread was somewhat over-optimistic. I used a magic mouse but left the trackpad in operation for some days. Then, a couple of days ago, I was typing away when all of a sudden, the cursor started jumping around again all by itself. I have now disabled the trackpad again via Universal Access. With regard to the post from "mathpop", I suggest that you try an external keyboard via the USB socket or perhaps a wireless one.

M
QUOTE Thanks
mac-pas

mac-pas is on a distinguished road

I spilled water (a few ml) through air vents of MacBook Pro (17') when it was on. The screen went off. First I tipped it over to get some water out, I then took off the cover and dried the computer a few hours. When I turned it on, the starting light was on for a few seconds, then briefly off and then kept on, but the screen remains off. Please advise what went wrong..

I wish that I had read some of the comments before I turned on.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-pas View Post
I spilled water (a few ml) through air vents of MacBook Pro (17') when it was on. The screen went off. First I tipped it over to get some water out, I then took off the cover and dried the computer a few hours. When I turned it on, the starting light was on for a few seconds, then briefly off and then kept on, but the screen remains off. Please advise what went wrong..
Do you mean aside from allowing liquid to go where it doesn't belong?

Quote:
I wish that I had read some of the comments before I turned on.

Thanks
Don't feel bad - if the machine was powered on while this happened, the damage was likely done the instant the spill occurred. Trying to dry out or otherwise mitigate the accident is a crap shoot at best. There's really not a whole lot you could have done differently.

QUOTE Thanks
carpenterken

carpenterken will become famous soon enough

Like those before me, I got a small bit of liquid on my keyboard. The instant it happened, I flipped the Macbook pro over, and grabbed a towel. I had it in front of the dehumidifier for quite some time, but It still dose not fire up.
Likely the small amount that got in fried the logic board.
I Can get a new logic board on line for around $400 (macbook pro 2010).
How likely is it that only the logic board is bad?
It turns on now, then shuts off, and repeats that process till hold down the power button to shut her down. I do not get a screen to turn on.
Sincerely, feeling the pain.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you're lucky, replacing the logic board will be all that you need to do. However, with spills it's hard to determine what long term damage may show up later on. If it was only water and you cleaned it up inside, there will be less chance of corrosion setting in.
QUOTE Thanks
LucifeL

LucifeL is on a distinguished road

Some personally set rules of mine...

1. Always use a silicone Keyboard protector during casual use and try to avoid beverages while on system.

2. the Silicone keyboard cover only comes off during process heavy work, i do this with or without the cooling pad... if you have a verry efficient cooling pad you could probably pass.. but whatever ! its up to you. But during this time, ALL DRINKS are PROHIBITED. I never break this rule

Last week, breaking rule 1 backfired on me... when i accidentally spilled some diet coke penny size on the edge of the trackpad. For half a sec i was horrified if it would seep thought the edge of the trackpad, but on the second half my wits had the better of me so i just instinctively dived and lip locked around it with my mouth and sucked like the dast breath before drowning, i could have given my vacuums cleaner a run for its money. That saved the day .

Last edited by pigoo3; 09-19-2012 at 06:50 AM. Reason: inappropriate language
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Our advice besides the no drinks or food around computers, is buy a notebook stand. A stand elevates the machine for better cooling and viewing besides giving protection against nasty spills.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trackpad problems on macbook | Sony Bravia TV Won't Recognize Macbook Pro anymore »