New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?" Thread

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadoumba View Post
I turned it upside done, shook it, got it rid of all the liquid I could find...

Any idea what could've happenned and what I should do?
What may have happened is...when the computer was turned upside down & shook...the liquid was spread all over the place...and got into every "nook & cranny". Thus greatly increasing the chances of liquid making contact with something energized when the computer was turned back on. It takes very very little liquid to cause an electrical short in a laptop computer...where the distance between 2 transistors, capacitors, resisters, etc...can be fractions of a millimeter.

Also...continuing to use the computer for 20 hours wasn't a very good idea.

Bottom line. For the best chances of a complete recovery. This computer should have been:

- IMMEDIATELY turned off
- opened up
- battery disconnected
- all visible liquid removed
- left to dry for days & days
- battery reconnected
- then with fingers & toes crossed...turn it on

* Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
BGS93

BGS93 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Earlier this afternoon I spilled a small amount of Coca-Cola on my Macbook Air. The spill was the top half of the track pad and the keyboard around the space bar and keys V, B, N, M, F,G, H. Within a second I flipped the Macbook upside down and all the liquid ran off. I also managed to wipe any residue off and blast it for ten seconds or so with a hairdryer on the cool setting.

When I spilled the liquid the laptop was on and remained on until I switched it off myself. I switched it back on and it was running without a hitch. I popped off most of the keys and noticed that there was no residue liquid.

What should I do now? I have it currently sitting infront of a fan to be sure but as its running normal I don't know how long I should leave it like this. Should I take it into an Apple Store to get checked out? I'm worried that although it seems fine now, it may start having problems further down the track.

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Turning it back on so soon was not the right thing to do. I know that's the first thing which comes to mind - "does my MacBook Air still work"? Right now there's not much else you can do but keep your fingers crossed and hope that no coke got down on the logic board.

You can take your Air to Apple if you wish and let them take it apart and diagnose any problems that may or may not occur in the future. They won't charge you for any diagnostics they do, but if they have to take the machine apart there will be a labor fee. You also have to understand that a spill is not covered under the warranty or extended Apple care. If you have home owner's insurance, it may be covered. Some policies cover it, some don't.
QUOTE Thanks
BGS93

BGS93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Turning it back on so soon was not the right thing to do. I know that's the first thing which comes to mind - "does my MacBook Air still work"? Right now there's not much else you can do but keep your fingers crossed and hope that no coke got down on the logic board.

You can take your Air to Apple if you wish and let them take it apart and diagnose any problems that may or may not occur in the future. They won't charge you for any diagnostics they do, but if they have to take the machine apart there will be a labor fee. You also have to understand that a spill is not covered under the warranty or extended Apple care. If you have home owner's insurance, it may be covered. Some policies cover it, some don't.
Thanks for your help man.

I pulled it apart myself today to have a look inside for any visible damage. Everything on the inside seemed pretty good. No visible stains or residue from the coke. I stopped short of removing the logic board (feels a little above my skill set) but I did clean what I could carefully with a q-tip and some isopropyl. Here's hoping when its finished drying off completely it comes together okay!

Here are some pictures of the inside. Anything you think I should be worried about?

QUOTE Thanks
biondi

biondi is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I knocked over a half cup of water on top of my 15" macbook pro retina while it was closed, and in sleep mode. I immediately ran and got a towel, and dried the exterior. I opened it, and the keyboard was dry. I then quickly shut it down, and put it upside down in a pan of rice. I saw that a small amount of water got into the 3 little air vents on the bottom right side of the machine.

My question is, should I leave it upside down in the rice, or turn it right side up? I thought it should be upside down based off of what I read in these forums, but logically, if it were right side up, wouldn't the water drain out?

This computer is brand new, literally like a month old. Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Position it so that the water if any remains, will drain out. Do not turn on your MacBook Pro until all the water is gone! Leave it off for several days at least. Keep your fingers crossed and hope that no water got onto the logic board while the machine was on.

And for goodness sake, use a notebook stand at home which will protect your machine from nasty spills while it also helps in the cooling process.
QUOTE Thanks
wizi

wizi is on a distinguished road

Yesterday night I spilled some beer on my macbook white(on the keyboard). I unplugged the cable 2 seconds after and the laptop turned off automatically(since I'm using it without a battery).

I placed it upside-down in a sealed plastic bag with a lot of rice inside. I wanted to leave it like that for 2-3 days.

However today I decided to open it to see how it looks inside.

A lot of dust+beer = a total mess. The notebook is still wet inside(on the motherboard and on the fan etc)

What do you recommend me to do now? I'm thinking to gently clean the dust, leave it another 24-48 hours to dry and finally to splash the keyboard and motherboard with some isopropylic alcohol.

Is this a good approach?

Any advices?

Thanks

QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

I've never spilled anything but H20 on my MBP.. one time i hit my old Inspiron with a lacrosse ball.. but generally speaking-what you've done & are planning on doing is the accepted steps. It is also generally accepted that things that leave residue (anything but water.. and some ppl will say water will leave residue) never get fully cleaned off. You just wont be able to get to everything with a cue tip and the alcohol. Some ppl think compressed air is bad since that may move whats in there further into a deep dark crevasse.

What you should do is save up some money and buy a new computer, it probably wont work anymore. I hope you reply and say otherwise, but it appears that you have the plastic white Mac Book. So the newest it may be is '09 or '10 if you bought it refurb.

Good luck.. report back and prove me wrong.

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizi View Post
Yesterday night I spilled some beer on my macbook white(on the keyboard). I unplugged the cable 2 seconds after and the laptop turned off automatically(since I'm using it without a battery).

A lot of dust+beer = a total mess. The notebook is still wet inside(on the motherboard and on the fan etc)

What do you recommend me to do now?
Honestly...have you read this thread at all?? The MacBook is a total disaster. Please read the thread...and I think that you will get an idea what to do...and what your chances are of this computer ever working again.

One thing I can recommend. STOP drinking beer (or any beverages) around laptop computers!

Sorry,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
silmer

silmer is on a distinguished road

Yet another "little" liquid damage! I'v now accepted that I can't repair it. I'm told the logic board(whatever that is!) is damaged, and it will cost almost as much as a new laptop to repair. I'm just wondering if I can recover anything from it. i.e. photos, music, contacts?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silmer View Post
Yet another "little" liquid damage! I'v now accepted that I can't repair it. I'm told the logic board(whatever that is!) is damaged, and it will cost almost as much as a new laptop to repair. I'm just wondering if I can recover anything from it. i.e. photos, music, contacts?
There's a very good chance you can. What you need to do is remove the internal hard drive...place it into an external HD case...then plug the HD into another computer to extract/copy the files you want to recover/save.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
silmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizi View Post

I placed it upside-down in a sealed plastic bag with a lot of rice inside. I wanted to leave it like that for 2-3 days.

However today I decided to open it to see how it looks inside.

What a terrible waste of beer!

Last edited by pigoo3; 06-19-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: shortened quote
QUOTE Thanks
silmer

Thanks Nick. I will try that.
QUOTE Thanks
adityavirmani

adityavirmani is on a distinguished road

"Hey Guys
I know you are going to hate me and send me all kinds of sarcastic comments but please help me out here. I had a liquid spill on my Brand new Retina Display 15" macbook pro. I immediately did shut it down and all of this happened within less than 5 seconds. The macbook did shutdown completely and let it to dry so I am guessing nothing must have had shorted. Anyways I let it dry in putting it upside down putting a towel to soak all the liquid and silica gel around it. The next morning i rushed it to the apple care people and they opened it up for me to only find even more liquid lying in there. They took some pictures which I am putting up here. They said they will put it to dry for a week before turning it on again to see if it still works.

My only guess is that since I was fast enough and shut it down nothing must have had shorted and it mite come back to life. At least that is what I am hoping. Could you please look at the pictures and from the look of them tell me your thoughts. I am quite concerned as this is primarily my work laptop and this was the only time I opened it up just to edit a few documents at home. Now my warranty is void and All i can hope for is that in a week it does function.

Please note I didn't try switching it on after the spill. So I am really hopeful some of the things are intact. Although I did hear kind of a sizzle as soon the liquid hit computer."

Please tell me if you see any visible damage done already
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0020.jpeg (279.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0022.jpeg (309.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0023.jpeg (312.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0024.jpeg (315.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0025.jpeg (270.0 KB, 11 views)
QUOTE Thanks
adityavirmani

adityavirmani is on a distinguished road

More pics

Nick Directed me to post this stuff here instead of creating a new one which I already created.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0026.jpeg (221.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0027.jpeg (233.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0029.jpeg (299.1 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Giving old MacBook Pro to niece | How to unsubscribe to podcasts? »