New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Ooops - I dropped my iBook.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BillyBoy

Morning All,

I stupidly dropped my iBook yesterday from a height of 2 1/2 ft onto carpet. I ran "verify disk" in Disk Utilities which turned up nothing unusual (luckily).

Is there anything else I could do to ensure that it survived ok?

Also, has anyone else done this and are there other potential problems that I should be looking out for?

Many thanks for your help,

BB
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

if its working fine dont worry about it too much, just count yourself lucky this time

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
alejandrico

alejandrico is on a distinguished road

Can somebody do this experiment:

drop your ibook 1 feet from floor and check for integrity
Repeat in 1 feet increments
Report distance from floor where the iBook is just damaged

------Just kiding------
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandrico
Can somebody do this experiment:

drop your ibook 1 feet from floor and check for integrity
Repeat in 1 feet increments
Report distance from floor where the iBook is just damaged

------Just kiding------
Yep, still works.
QUOTE Thanks
Basvaldo

I dropped my ibook from about 4 ft and it completely bugger*d.
Thankfully my insurance company bought me a shiny new one.
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalN.

good thing I keep mine in a handy padded bag. I went and dropped my iBook from around 5 feet, and it still survived, just a little dust on the bag. turns out the bag has a steel plate and padding all around the place where the laptop goes
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

usually, if the ibook is closed and sleeping the hard drive will lock to prevent any damage, such as moving it or dropping it, it should survive, in theory sometimes they don't survive, but for the most part it is effective, i have dropped mine, well i really didn't drop it, it was setting in my car seat, and i was driving and some stooge on there cell phone, not watching what there doing or where they were going, decides to 1. cut me off, and then stomp on there breaks because they didn't see the person in front of me, so i had to slam my breaks on and there went my ibook . slamming to the floor of my car, it was closed and asleep, i checked it and she's OK. it happened about a week ago, and it's still running fine, I'm on it now actually.. <3 i love my ibook

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Illinois students begin to receive iBooks | Powerbook os 9 »