New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Dented new mbpro due to defective bag

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mlivvy

mlivvy is on a distinguished road

Hi all.

I purchased a new macbook pro in february. A few days ago I put the mac in my swissgear bag that I purchased a few years ago and the buckle strap snapped and caused the bag to hit the floor. Unfortunately the bag hit on the side causing a dent into the mac.

I took it to apple and they quoted me $500 to fix it. I contacted the makers of the swissgear bag and told them that due to that buckle snapping my laptop suffered a pretty bad dent. They apologized and offered me a new bag.

I'm asking to see if anyone can give me any ideas of what my options are here. Here are the pics of the damage..

the broken buckle..

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I'm asking to see if anyone can give me any ideas of what my options are here. Here are the pics of the damage..
You have three options:

1. Let Apple repair it. Undoubtedly it means they'll replace the case which is why they quoted you $500.

2. Live with it. Face it, you can't repair that case without replacing it. Even if you could completely disassemble the machine and remove the case, it's unlikely that kind of dent can be pushed out.

3. Sell the machine as is and use the money to buy a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
mlivvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You have three options:

1. Let Apple repair it. Undoubtedly it means they'll replace the case which is why they quoted you $500.

2. Live with it. Face it, you can't repair that case without replacing it. Even if you could completely disassemble the machine and remove the case, it's unlikely that kind of dent can be pushed out.

3. Sell the machine as is and use the money to buy a new one.
thanks for the reply.

option 1 they'll replace the bottom case and led display. According to them the led housing is 1 piece so they'll have to replace the entire display eventho it's good.

Option 2- ifixit has the parts and instructions to replace the case but it's a scary looking process. + I would obviously lose my applecare.

option 3- what do you think it's worth? Everything else works as new other than the dent.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Is that a 13" MacBook Pro or 15" model? (I can't tell from the photo) Probably the best way to figure how much it's worth is get on eBay and look for a like machine that has slight exterior damage like yours. Either that, or go to Mac2Sell and compute a price. Deduct what you think for the dent.

A note about ifixit: Their instructions are some of the best I've ever seen. If you're handy and careful at the same time, there's no reason why you couldn't do the work yourself. As far as voiding your warranty, that will only occur if you mess something up. The dent is not covered anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
mlivvy

Thanks for the advice. I decided to purchase a new one and listed this one on ebay.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

pm sent to you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Help Installing RAM (late 2010 MacBook Pro) | MBA 13' Install New HDD and lion »