Specs:
    2008 15" MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz 185 GB HD (don't ask, I can't explain!)
    Best way to clean mold off my Macbook Pro?
    We've had a mold problem due to last year's humidity which unfortunately affected nearly all of my belongings. My computer was even giving me a bad reaction until I cleaned off the outside of it. I have a darker colored Speck cover on it, which I just removed to take out the battery (trying to resolve another issue - My OS won't boot!). On the inside of the cover I found tiny mold spots growing all over! What's more, the same spots are on the metal surface of my Macbook Pro! I have an endless list of chemical sensitivities, so I can't clean with the normal stuff. I've been doing mold remediation with things like borax, hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil, and anything else I can find that is pretty close to natural. What can I use to safely remove mold from the metal surface of my Macbook Pro? Should I presume that the internal parts are affected as well?

Mold? On a computer? WOW! Well I think isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is probably the safest and most effective thing to use. It should be mentioned that you should remove the battery before cleaning it.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    Mold? On a computer? WOW! Well I think isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is probably the safest and most effective thing to use. It should be mentioned that you should remove the battery before cleaning it.
    It's also going to have to have time to dry completely.. since rubbing alcohol is mostly water (it's not pure methanol). I'd also suspect that ANY area that has air access is infected.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    To be honest...this is a real tough one. So many "nooks & cranny's" to clean. It almost sounds like this MacBook Pro should at least be partially disassembled before cleaning begins (at least separate the topcase).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I concur with the others. Plan on a complete disassembly if you want this done right. Maybe even see if this is offered somewhere as a service.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information