New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Is trading my Late 08 Macbook Pro for 2012 Air good?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Happa

Happa is on a distinguished road

What do you guys think? I'm trading my Late 08 15" Unibody Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz, 320gb HD, NVidia 9400M 256MB Graphics Card, and 4GB DDR3 Ram for a 2012 Macbook Air 13' Intel i5 1.7Ghz, 4GB DDR3 Ram, and 128GB SSD. But I do have to put some cash on top for the trade. I'm thinking my MBP and $150 on top? Is that a good deal or am I getting ripped off?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happa View Post
What do you guys think? I'm trading my Late 08 15" Unibody Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz, 320gb HD, NVidia 9400M 256MB Graphics Card, and 4GB DDR3 Ram for a 2012 Macbook Air 13' Intel i5 1.7Ghz, 4GB DDR3 Ram, and 128GB SSD. But I do have to put some cash on top for the trade. I'm thinking my MBP and $150 on top? Is that a good deal or am I getting ripped off?
Off the top of my head I would say you're getting the better end of the deal if you can get the MBA for your 2008 MBP + $150.

But the key to the deal is...will the MBA meet your needs? It's ram & storage capacity cannot be upgraded...and it has no optical drive.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
I'm thinking if anything, the ripping goes the other way. I bought the identical MBA for my wife last summer (though I went for the 256 SSD) for $1500.

Apple is currently selling the model you are looking at for $1099 as a refurb.
Refurbished MacBook Air 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

EDIT: Beaten to the punch again . . . Typing too slow and too much!

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Happa

Thanks for the reply! That's true, when I bought my MBP I used it for gaming twice, and didn't really see a need in having it. Most of it is used for iTunes syncing my iPhone, and pictures. I was going to get a Seagate 1TB off craigslist for extra storage. But there's no way to send it in to apple for them to upgrade it to the 256GB SSD for a extra cost? Plus now it'll be mostly used for work and studies for my academy.
QUOTE Thanks
Happa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I'm thinking if anything, the ripping goes the other way. I bought the identical MBA for my wife last summer (though I went for the 256 SSD) for $1500.

Apple is currently selling the model you are looking at for $1099 as a refurb.
Refurbished MacBook Air 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

EDIT: Beaten to the punch again . . . Typing too slow and too much!
How are you guy's liking it? Any regrets or dislikes about the air?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! That's true, when I bought my MBP I used it for gaming twice, and didn't really see a need in having it. Most of it is used for iTunes syncing my iPhone, and pictures. I was going to get a Seagate 1TB off craigslist for extra storage. But there's no way to send it in to apple for them to upgrade it to the 256GB SSD for a extra cost? Plus now it'll be mostly used for work and studies for my academy.
Check at OWC. I believe you can upgrade the SSD, but not cheap.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Happa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Off the top of my head I would say you're getting the better end of the deal if you can get the MBA for your 2008 MBP + $150.

But the key to the deal is...will the MBA meet your needs? It's ram & storage capacity cannot be upgraded...and it has no optical drive.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
My wife loves it!
Though, for me, I would go with a new MBP and live with the extra weight for the added performance and expandability.

QUOTE Thanks
Happa

Quote:
My wife loves it!
Though, for me, I would go with a new MBP and live with the extra weight for the added performance and expandability.
Ah okay, Thanks! If you don't mind me asking. What does she primarily use it for? And does she do anything else with it? I'm trying to decide if I'm making a mistake. But I'm thinking my laptop is getting up in age so why not?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I already mentioned this above:

- The MBAs ram cannot be upgraded
- I'm pretty sure the internal storage capacity is not upgradable (Apple says that the internal storage capacity is "not intended to be upgraded after purchase").
- that 1tb HD will do you no good...unless you were going to use it as an external drive
- and no...you cannot send the MBA to Apple to have it's internal storage upgraded.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Ah okay, Thanks! If you don't mind me asking. What does she primarily use it for? And does she do anything else with it? I'm trying to decide if I'm making a mistake. But I'm thinking my laptop is getting up in age so why not?
To be honest. If you're asking these sorts of questions about the MBA...you need to think a lot more about this transaction!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Found the link at OWC
Flashdrive (SSD) upgrade for MBA
SSD for MacBook Air 2010 or 2011 - OWC Mercury Pro Aura Express Sandforce Driven

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

FYI to the OP...this MBA is a not a 2012 model...but a Mid-2011 model. There is one 2012 MBA model...but the one in question is not it.

Just wanted you to know.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Found the link at OWC
Flashdrive (SSD) upgrade for MBA
SSD for MacBook Air 2010 or 2011 - OWC Mercury Pro Aura Express Sandforce Driven
Of course take out a 2nd Mortgage on the house to afford one of these! But it is an option!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Of course take out a 2nd Mortgage on the house to afford one of these! But it is an option!

- Nick
Yep!
Definitely pricey, another reason why my personal choice would still be a MBP.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Late 08 MBP Continued SSD troubles | macbook pro motherboard corrosion »