New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Momentus XT 750gb SSD HHD Hybrid Drive Compatibility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mt6272

mt6272 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
carbon copy clone can be downloaded for free, it is simple just copy your internal hard drive to external enclosure contains your seagate drive.
clone over to external drive, then using osx lion thumb drive you have to either create one or buy one from apple, install your osx to the external drive, make sure it can be booted from external drive, then take the internal drive out replace with external one.
Thanks for the input.
To clarify, I should say that I would find it relatively easy to look up a guide on how to clone with CCC, and that perhaps information on how to do this is not specifically what I am seeking right now.

To rephrase what I would like to have help with/have answered:
I would like to know how to copy my primary partition AND my recovery partition to my new drive.
And for the sake of begin anxious to use my new drive, if I simply copy over my primary partition for now, will I still have the chance in the future to copy over my recovery partition?

No way I could express how thankful I am for all the help i've received on this thread so far. You guys are great.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt6272 View Post
Thanks for the input.
To clarify, I should say that I would find it relatively easy to look up a guide on how to clone with CCC, and that perhaps information on how to do this is not specifically what I am seeking right now.

To rephrase what I would like to have help with/have answered:
I would like to know how to copy my primary partition AND my recovery partition to my new drive.
And for the sake of begin anxious to use my new drive, if I simply copy over my primary partition for now, will I still have the chance in the future to copy over my recovery partition?

No way I could express how thankful I am for all the help i've received on this thread so far. You guys are great.
start with simple step, forget about partition, make sure you have formated your drive to 'journaled', then clone it.
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Stanley will become famous soon enough

Managing the OS X 10.7 Lion restore drive | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Seems like Google has all sorts of ideas. ;-)

Personally, I'd spend the 29, or not worry about corruption from using the puter for 30 days. I have done that and found no degradation issues. And a later fresh install was no faster. If you have a heavily used 2 year old Mac things might be different.
QUOTE Thanks
mt6272

mt6272 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link Stanley. It definitely got me headed in the right direction.
On part of some heavy googling myself, I think I found out a much simpler way to accomplish my goal of cloning both my main and recovery partition.

Just a few lines of code in terminal and apparently I can recreate a recovery partition, even on a mac that never had one!

Removing and rebuilding a malfunctioning Recovery HD partition Der Flounder

......Someone put this code into an automated script thingy to make things a touch easier, found here:
Musings Restoring a lost Recovery Partition (Volume) in Lion

So, what i'll be doing is:
1) CCC cloning my main partition over to my new HD.
2) Then i'll run that script, and supposedly.. voila, i'll have my current setup completely transferred over, recovery HD and all.

If I am misreading anything about how easy this is going to be, give me a heads up! I'm quite excited with my find. I'll be following up here sharing my results in the next day or so.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will this HDD work | MBP late 2008 expert help wanted :) »