New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrading MBP ram, should I upgrade hard drive as well?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

disillusion22

disillusion22 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz, iPad original 64GB 3G, iPhone 4 32GB

Hi,

I am new here but I've been reading this forum for a while. I need a bit of advice regarding my MacBookPro 5,5. I have the base model with 2GB ram and 160GB 5400rpm hdd, and I will be upgrading to 8GB ram for a programming project (to run the whole thing in a ram disk).

My question is - doesn't it make sense to upgrade my hard drive as well? I might get 2-3 more years of life out of my MBP. My current drive is about 2/3 full as I store a lot of my things in an external disk. Say if I get a 500GB 7200rpm drive, would I get significantly better performance (considering that I am also upgrading the ram)? I mostly do web browsing, music/video and office stuff, with occasional programming. I regularly use like 4GB of swap so I know the ram upgrade will help a lot. I guess what I really want to know is whether a hard drive upgrade would be worth the extra performance.

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

Not really, unless you want to pay the extra for an SSD. A 7200rpm drive will create more vibration, more battery drain, more noise, and a very slight speed boost.
QUOTE Thanks
disillusion22

Thanks. I presume you have had experience with 7200rpm drives on your MBP then. Would the noise be noticeable if I have music playing?
I might upgrade the hard drive somewhere down the road if I really feel I need more space.
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

19birel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz i5 13" MBP antiglare 16gb RAM 500gb HD OSX 10.8.x

With the battery drain factor and the lack of extra performance a 7200 RPM drive probably wouldn't be worth it. If you need more space a 5200rpm 500gb would work great. If you want speed, buy an ssd.

I MISS SNOW LEOPARD ;(
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Stanley will become famous soon enough

I have a MBP mid 2009 too. Bumping to 8 gb ram is quite cheap these days. It also cuts virtual memory swaps to the hard drive. Some Apps tend to be memory hogs over time, like Safari.

I also loaded in a 750 gb XT a short time later, the one with the 8 gb SSD cache to help out. The two mods helped the laptop immensely. All of my common apps load in about one "dock hop". About 95% as fast as an SSD for booting as it pins those files. This HD behaves way quicker than the 7200/5400 speed ratio would suggest. Another option is the 1 Tb 5400s. WD's run about as fast as a premium conventional 7200/750gb due to the data being packed closer together.
QUOTE Thanks
disillusion22

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will go with a 5400rpm 1TB
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Stanley will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by disillusion22 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will go with a 5400rpm 1TB
Yeah that is a fast drive. See the graphs in this test:

A Terabyte For Notebooks: WD Scorpio Blue 1TB Drive - HotHardware

I wonder if it may prove more fragile than average though. That's why I selected 750 gb for now as my internal. I use the WD 1 tb as my external back up drive though. Through FireWire it does about 62-67 mb/sec per Activity Monitor.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Logic board broken but idea | What price to sell Macbook Pro Late 2007 »