New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

HELP ME! I think the sky is falling

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Akatzman

Akatzman is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
I am having a majorly catastrophic situation with my apple macbook air, and I have no idea what the heck has happened. Essentially, my computer was working just fine. Then the shift key stopped working. Then, the caps lock key went permanently on. I went to the apple genius store to have them take a gander; they tell me the logic board? may need to be replaced, and that'll be a total of 755. The guy took apart my computer to tell me this of course, and put it back together. Now I come home with the keyboard i paid 50 bucks for to find that the mousepad is also not functioning appropriately, and I can no longer watch videos on my computer, and OH hey, the sound doesn't work. The apocalypse has happened in two days; What's GOING ON?????
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

I can't tell you what is GOING ON from where I am sitting, but I guess you experienced first hand what is NOT GOING ON .
I guess your motherboard is toast ( since you are telling us that you have issues with almost all input and output components. )
Hardware can fail.

If the machine is still in warranty/applecare, take it back to the apple store to have it fixed.
If the machine is not in warranty/applecare anymore, and you still want to use it, take it back to the apple store and have it fixed.

My 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Shootist is infamous around these parts

How old is your Air?

If it's relatively new it should still be in warranty. If it's older then a couple of years then things go bad.

Personally I'd take it completely apart myself and make sure everything is connected and seated properly.
In the process of doing that I'd clean it then put it back together. If it still didn't function correctly then I'd disassemble it again Bake the motherboard. If that didn't work then I'd buy a new computer.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

A "catastrophic hardware malfunction" is rare, especially on Apple computers. It's not unheard of though. The Apple store's diagnostic is probably correct, your logic board is dying.

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Seems really odd that it started behaving that way with no external influence. Are you sure it wasn't exposed to liquid at some point?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Akatzman

Akatzman is on a distinguished road

I'm actually not sure on liquid exposure: I do recall about a week and a half ago when I was sick, a few drops of cold medicine accidentally fell on the caps lock key, shift key, and function key; that's really about it to the best of my knowledge, and I cleaned it up immediately.

This computer is my baby; got it in October for my bday. And for now, since I'm terrified of all the awful things that keep happening to it, I'm just not turning it on til I find a good price; the apple guy said if there's any liquid though, I'm paying$$$$$$$?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akatzman View Post
I'm actually not sure on liquid exposure: I do recall about a week and a half ago when I was sick, a few drops of cold medicine accidentally fell on the caps lock key, shift key, and function key; that's really about it to the best of my knowledge, and I cleaned it up immediately.
Sounds like you may not have gotten all of it. Given the fact that this happened just a week and a half ago and that the problems started happening shortly thereafter, I have to believe the events are linked.

Sometimes liquid spills aren't immediately evident until the liquid starts the corrosion process.

Quote:
This computer is my baby; got it in October for my bday. And for now, since I'm terrified of all the awful things that keep happening to it, I'm just not turning it on til I find a good price; the apple guy said if there's any liquid though, I'm paying$$$$$$$?
Yes, Apple's warranty covers manufacturer defects. So, if they spot liquid damage, it will be your responsibility to repair.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Driver needed for Medion USB3 Express Card | Right fan doesnt work, can i use my macbook? »