New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Monitor output broken?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BobbyZuko

BobbyZuko is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I was going to hold a keynote at my school on my macbook when i noticed the cable to the tv was broken and therefore I had to do something else.

Afterwards I can not connect to any monitor/tv. It only says "the signal is not recognised" and so on. Can it really be true that a corrupt cable destroys my monitor output? Or what do I do?

I hope you can help...

B.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

When you say 'Afterwards' - after what exactly? What happened?

Also, knowing your MacBook model and specs will help along with the type of cable/adapter you use.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
BobbyZuko

It was because of the tv I tried to connect to at school had a broken cable, so it couldn't fit in the tv. The things (I do not know what they are called) were bended in the cable. The other end of the cable was connected to my macbook and apparently it short circuited something.

I have a Macbook 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 dual.

The cable from my computer was an adapter to an ordinary monitor cable. At first I thought it was my adapter cable that was broken and bought a new one. But it still won't work.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

If you've tried a different cable to a different screen then it does indeed sound as though some low level damage has been done.

Does the system profiler still list the connector as a device?

But ultimately I'd take a trip to an Apple store to be formally diagnosed

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
BobbyZuko

It was a normal cable as there always is linked to a monitor. In this situation it was broken in the end so I could not connect it to the screen (the monitor). I am just surprised it has broken my output at the other end of the cable!

I have to check the system profiler. Where do I find it?

Thanks for your help so far.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyZuko View Post
It was a normal cable as there always is linked to a monitor. In this situation it was broken in the end so I could not connect it to the screen (the monitor). I am just surprised it has broken my output at the other end of the cable!

I have to check the system profiler. Where do I find it?

Thanks for your help so far.
But do you have another screen and cable you could borrow/use to check with along with the new adapter. I.e. using completely different kit. If it still misbehaves it HAS to be the Mac.

System profiler can be found in The Apple Menu top-left of your desktop. About this Mac - More info... It's either System Profiler in here or System report depending on your OS version

QUOTE Thanks
BobbyZuko

I have tried different cables and monitors. So it is the Mac. I was curious if others have had the same problem and what the solution would be (price)!
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Shootist is infamous around these parts

The solution, IF the video out put is shorted, is replacing the logic board (better known as the Motherboard. the hart of the system) and it won't be cheap.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring out of no where? | mini displayport to hdmi audio not working »