New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring out of no where?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rockmetalr

rockmetalr is on a distinguished road

So I recently had this thing pop up at the top of my macbook pro mid 2009 running Lion I don't know what it means can someone clarify? I looked up info about this and if im not mistaken it's to check if your hardrive is good and if it will crash.
http://i39.tinypic.com/qqe8tv.png
Oh and btw when I try and click on the options none of them work except stop smart monitoring.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

You are running an application named Disk Drill. As part of its features, it monitors the SMART status of your hard drive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

It didn't appear out of nowhere. You had to have downloaded, run, and configured Disk Drill at some point. It's a piece of software whose primary function is to recover deleted files. Monitoring the SMART status, drive temperature, and other data is a bonus.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
rockmetalr

rockmetalr is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info and yeah It was my nieces boyfriend who downloaded multiple programs to recover deleted files from his memory cards etc. Thanks again I was getting worried.
But now the thing is how can I get rid of it. I looked up disk drill throughout my mac and nothing and my nieces bf deleted all of the programs he was using. What do you recommend my good man
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

The SMART monitoring tool from Disk Drill is actually loaded separately and stored in /Library. It's rather odd how they did that… if the monitoring tool is enabled, and Disk Drill gets deleted, the SMART monitor gets left behind.

Anywho… open Activity Monitor and look for the process named SmartDaemon. Select Quit Process from the toolbar and kill that sucker.

Next, go to /Library/Application Support and delete the entire folder for CleverFiles. That contains the SmartDaemon app and other related files.

Once done, empty the Trash. You should also run Onyx and use the tool to rebuild the LaunchServices since OS X is expecting to load up those files on startup.

The cleaner way to do this is re-download and run Disk Drill; open its preferences and, under the SMART toolbar option, disable the option to monitor the disks; then quit Disk Drill and delete it and that folder mentioned earlier. You can use a 3rd party "uninstaller" like AppCleaner, which will root out some of the other files it leaves behind, however I do know for certain that they will not find or delete that folder mentioned earlier (I just tested it to see).

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pic folder for Iphone | Monitor output broken? »