New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Brain fart regarding MacBook storage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

I have a question, a silly one, and wondering if someone can advise...

I'm looking at picking up a MacBook of some sorts, either an Air or a Pro, but I have one question regarding the storage:-

On the Apple website, it states that the Air comes with "Flash storage". If I was to buy the pro, I would upgrade the HDD to a Solid State Drive, as I don't need oodles of space due to me storing the majority of my gumpf on the iMac.

Anyway, is there a difference between "Flash Storage" and a SSD? If so, which is faster/better/more reliable?

Both the models I've priced up, are in the same ball park, so just want to clarify the difference.

TLDR; What's the difference between SSD and "Flash Storage"?

Cheers, folks!

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Flash storage is SSD. They are the same thing, just different terms to say the same thing.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough

Cheers, Stretch! I thought that would be the case...

Now, why does Apple insist on confusing morons such as myself by using all these fancy phrases?!

QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Shootist is infamous around these parts

As stated Flash storage is SSD. But in the Air it is not a typical SSD like you would buy from a reseller or manufacturer. It is actually just the Flash chips without case or typical/normal connectors as you find on all SATA devices. That is why you can never upgrade it. Same for the RAM. It is not the type that you can replace. Both are built into the motherboard in some way.

For that reason I would never buy a Mac Air.
Although I just looked at the new Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook. But I doubt I will be buying one.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
As stated Flash storage is SSD. But in the Air it is not a typical SSD like you would buy from a reseller or manufacturer. It is actually just the Flash chips without case or typical/normal connectors as you find on all SATA devices. That is why you can never upgrade it. Same for the RAM. It is not the type that you can replace. Both are built into the motherboard in some way.

For that reason I would never buy a Mac Air.
Although I just looked at the new Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook. But I doubt I will be buying one.
No, the 2010, 2011 model MacBook Airs can have the SSD upgraded. Only the original versions of the Air have the SSD on the logic board. OWC offers replacement SSDs for the current generation Airs.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
JPH675

JPH675 is on a distinguished road

In comparing pure speed, which would be faster?

a) Macbook Air 13 i7 1.8Ghz 256GB "flash drive"
or
b) Macbook Pro 15 i7 quadcore 2.2 Ghz where I replace the 5400 RPM drive with a 256 GB SSD

Thanks

JPH
MacBook Pro 17: 2.5 Ghz, 4GB RAM/750 GB, Anti-Glare
MacBook Air 11: 4 GB RAM/64 GB, iPad3
iPhone 5 Verizon, Airport Extreme, Apple TV2
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH675 View Post

or
b) Macbook Pro 15 i7 quadcore 2.2 Ghz where I replace the 5400 RPM drive with a 256 GB SSD

Thanks
Depends on the flash drive.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Shootist is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH675 View Post

or

Thanks
You're kidding right?

You have to ask this question?

A Quad Core CPU that runs faster the the Dual Core CPU and you can't figure that out. The Flash Apple uses in the Air is no different, except possibly slower, then all other Flash SSDs.

So which one do you think is faster?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
You're kidding right?

You have to ask this question?

A Quad Core CPU that runs faster the the Dual Core CPU and you can't figure that out. The Flash Apple uses in the Air is no different, except possibly slower, then all other Flash SSDs.

So which one do you think is faster?
Careful now...let's "play" nice. Each person has different levels of "tech-savviness". What's obvious to one person...is "foggy" to another.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Thanks for the somewhat, conflicting advice - I think I'm gonna go for the MBP with 128GB SSD, as although I think 4GB RAM would be more than sufficient for what I would be using the Air for, for a very similar price I could get the MBP, which I feel would be more future proof due to the ability to bump up the RAM.

Muchos gracias.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
Thanks for the somewhat, conflicting advice - I think I'm gonna go for the MBP with 128GB SSD, as although I think 4GB RAM would be more than sufficient for what I would be using the Air for, for a very similar price I could get the MBP, which I feel would be more future proof due to the ability to bump up the RAM.

Muchos gracias.
Another alternative is to get the MBP with standard HDD, then purchase SSD and Data-doubler from OWC and swap out HDD for Superdrive. Will follow up with link on OWC components.

Data-doubler $70 USD
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/

120 GB SSD $178 USD
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDEX3G120/

External Case for your Old Superdrive $40 USD
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/VLSS9TOPTU2/

Total Cost: $288 USD

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

That's awesome! Thanks, Razor! - I tried to give you rep, but I need to spread it around a bit first!

Couple last questions, before I take the plunge, if I may?

Can I use an OEM version of Windows with Bootcamp? Or does it have to be 'normal' version, if you catch my drift? Purchased and fully legit, of course.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
That's awesome! Thanks, Razor! - I tried to give you rep, but I need to spread it around a bit first!

Couple last questions, before I take the plunge, if I may?

Can I use an OEM version of Windows with Bootcamp? Or does it have to be 'normal' version, if you catch my drift? Purchased and fully legit, of course.
That one I don't know the answer to. I don't voluntarily run Windows on any of my computers. But, I suspect you have to have a retail version (could be wrong, someone else will have to answer that).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Ahh okay no worries, once I've got the MacBook I'll look into that!

Woooo! Just purchased it! 6 months after getting an iMac, I've now got a MBP...

Oh one last question, I promise... Do OWC ship overseas?!

Many thanks, you've been a star!

QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

"If I was to buy the pro, I would upgrade the HDD to a Solid State Drive, as I don't need oodles of space due to me storing the majority of my gumpf on the iMac."
just curious will just install the 128gb ssd good enough ? since you are not going to use that much space in the mbp,
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Something I noticed after SSD install | Can I transfer OS from HD to SSD »