New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

powerbook battery life disappointing M9969LL/A

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macpop

my M9969LL/A powerbook 15" battery has gone thru 3 cycles, and NEVER reads over 3.5 hrs at full charge. I tried coconutbattery and it confirms 3.5 hr max battery. also disturbing is that after 3 cycles, and 1 week of ownership, the battery has already lost 5% of its life. VERY DISAPPOINTING. My Titaniu, of 2.5 years, still holds a 2.5-3 hr full charge on original battery. i have display on low, and all reduced settings. but here are my battery specs on system profiler. your input welcome:

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Wake On Modem Ring: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 1
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On Modem Ring: No
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
First low level warning: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4495
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 2474
Amperage (mA): -2043
Voltage (mV): 11148
Cycle Count: 3

AC Charger Information:

AC Charger (Watts): 0
Connected: No
Charging: No

Hardware Configuration:

Clamshell Closed: No
UPS Installed: No
QUOTE Thanks
jn4jenny

While I agree that the Aluminum Powerbook battery life sucks, that's not exactly a secret. Even the most love-happy Powerbook review tends to mention that the battery life is mis-advertised and is closer to 3.5 hours. You're partially responsible for researching this sort of thing before you buy, so it's kind of hard to feel sorry for you.

Personally, I deal with it by owning a Newer Technologies battery and ONLY putting it in when I really need good battery life. Is that an ideal solution? No. Should Apple sell OEM batteries at their advertised battery rate? Yes. But welcome to the world of the Powerbook--so many advantages, and a few very crappy disadvantages.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Most battery life stats are overstated it has to be said. This PBook will run for 4hr 20mins on a full charge, dimmest screen setting, airport and bluetooth off and running a USB ADSL modem.

Batteries are consumables and can never be guaranteed, they are just a bunch of chemicals. The best thing you can do with a battery is to just use it; an not worry too much over, and when it is exhausted, buy another -- or indeed keep a spare.

This goes for all notebooks, and it is no secret that Apple like all laptop manufacturers I know quote battery life times with basically the bare minimum running.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

my old pentium 3 dell battery lasted 1.2 hours, be thankful its not that
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

to be honest, it sounds like theres something wrong with your battery. I downladed that coconut battery thing you were talking about, it says that my battery is 3 months old, and has 99% of its original capacity 4357/4400

it says its been through 28 cycles

yours should not have lost 5% already
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook is squeaking???? | turning off »