New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Crack in MBP screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ktmccall

ktmccall is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

I had a quick question for you guys. I recently cracked my macbook pro screen. The screen is still fully functional and the crack is hardly noticeable when looking at the screen straight on (I worked on it for an hour before I even noticed anything). There is no damage to the LCD, I believe it is just the glass in front. I was wondering what it would cost to have this repaired. (I don't really feel comfortable doing it myself.) We called apple and got an estimate of about $300 but the technician didn't know if that was including labor (my guess is no).

So now I'm thinking maybe it would be cheaper (or close to the same cost) to sell my mbp to someone who could easily fix it and get a new computer.. any thoughts? If I am going to be paying ~$400 to Apple to repair the screen, I'm only about $700 away from a new mbp. Could I get that (or close to that) for my macbook pro?

Here are the specs...

Mac OS X Version 10.6.8
2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
5 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I don't really know what else you need to know about it besides that I got it new in November of 2009.

I am just trying to test the waters here and get some info on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Check current prices on eBay, Craig's List, and Mac2Sell. Keep in mind that you'll need to deduct the cost of replacing the LCD from those prices. I doubt you would be able to get $700 for it though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can you replace Air's (a1304/1237) without removing top cover? | How much for new Hard Drive from Apple uk »