New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Hard Drive Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ieuanf

ieuanf is on a distinguished road

hi all, im planning to upgrade my macbook's (2009 aluminium unibody) hard drive from its miniscule 150GB and was hoping someone could give me some advice as to what hard drive to choose. i have been looking at the Seagate Momentus Hybrid Drive and wanted to see if anyone with a bit more knowledge of hardware could inform me of any problems i might encounter with this drive, or to tell me that it will be fine if thats the case!

i hope ive provided enough info, but if not please tell me what you need to know and ill get straight on it.

thanks in advance =]
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Hello and welcome,

Here is my recommendation...I put this in my late08 macbook uni 3 years ago an could not be happier. If you want bigger just get the 500...

Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

hope this helps
Clay
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I've seen reports that Seagate's Hybrid drives don't always play nice with Macs. Personally, I'd stay away from Seagate because of a firmware issue they had a few years ago. They released a large batch of HDDs with bad firmware, then pretty much told everyone that didn't have it mounted in a PC they were out of luck. If you have one of those drives in an external enclosure or a Mac, you couldn't fix it.

Since then I've always gone with Western Digital.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
rbzelman

rbzelman is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, not to thread-jack, but how do you go about upgrading a hard drive on a Mac? My brother's got several devices I can use to convert SATA to USB, but being strictly a Windows guy, he's got no advise for me about how to clone a hard drive. How would you do it?

Also, would you recommend one of those hybrid drives? I've got a Macbook 4.1 running Snow Leopard and I'm wondering if it will offer any significant performance or efficiency upgrade over my stock Hitachi 120 GB drive.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbzelman View Post
Hey guys, not to thread-jack, but how do you go about upgrading a hard drive on a Mac? My brother's got several devices I can use to convert SATA to USB, but being strictly a Windows guy, he's got no advise for me about how to clone a hard drive. How would you do it?

Also, would you recommend one of those hybrid drives? I've got a Macbook 4.1 running Snow Leopard and I'm wondering if it will offer any significant performance or efficiency upgrade over my stock Hitachi 120 GB drive.

Thanks!
Having done owc ssd hd upgrade today, it was a breeze.
step 1 is get your new drive as external one with either enclosure or adapter
step 2 is to clean install your oxs to your external drive, press 'option' key after boot up.
step 3 is to copy over your data, file folders what not to your external drive using migration assistant, it is resides in disk utility and boot from external drive, install software updates to it.
step 4 is swap your drives in with new, out with old.
few weeks ago sound like a confusing one to me, here are the links one from owc.
the other from apple.
How to Transfer Your Data From Your Old Drive to a New Drive
Mac OS X v10.6: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac
on migration assistant concentrate with 'Time Machine backup or other disk' option.
Beware if you install with lion osx install from usb thumb may take 2 hrs and system upates will take another 2 hours, it is marathon one because of my slow connection, next
time might go to library for system updates.
Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
rbzelman

Thanks ycl! Quick question regarding the clean re-install. I upgraded to Snow Leopard from the standard Leopard, using a CD, or DVD or whatever it was. Do I need to install from a disc that came with the computer, or the upgrade disc? If that information is in the links you sent me, I haven't read them yet, lol. If that's the case, you can ignore me.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbzelman View Post
Thanks ycl! Quick question regarding the clean re-install. I upgraded to Snow Leopard from the standard Leopard, using a CD, or DVD or whatever it was. Do I need to install from a disc that came with the computer, or the upgrade disc? If that information is in the links you sent me, I haven't read them yet, lol. If that's the case, you can ignore me.
snow leopard comes after leopard, what you can do is install the leopard osx. then SL.
QUOTE Thanks
rbzelman

Great. Thanks for your help. I'll posting what I hope is a success story tonight. Turns out that Windows-loving brother of mine has a laptop sized hybrid drive lying around too.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

good luck. once you get sad going, you will not want to go back to regular drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Vipor

Vipor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
Hello and welcome,

Here is my recommendation...I put this in my late08 macbook uni 3 years ago an could not be happier. If you want bigger just get the 500...

Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

hope this helps
Clay
Clay, do you know if the 2008 unibody can support as high as 500GB Western Digital? The OP's system had a 150GB. My 2008 unibody had the 250GB which I believe was the largest available at that time for the MB.

2008 Alum MacBook: 13", 2.4GHz, 4GB, 750GB, Snow Leopard
2011 iMac: 27", 2.7Ghz QC, 4GB, 1TB, Mtn Lion
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook pro battery buzzing | No ethernet on new Macbook Pro? »