New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

SSD => enabling trim?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Groovetube

Groovetube has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

Have the OWC mercury extreme pro in my MBP. Hadn't thought of it, though read a few people talking about enabling trim support. Is this necessary, if so what's the best way to do so?
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Shootist is infamous around these parts

Not sure if it is the best thing to do on OWC SSDs. If you go to there website they say you shouldn't. But on all the SSDs I have installed in either PCs or Mac's I have enabled TRIM support. But none of those drives are from OWC. I prefer to buy SSDs from companies that don't Re-Brand there products. Kingston, Intel, OZC, Crucial and the like.

OWC buys there SSDs, and all other parts they sell, from some place else and then Re-Brands them.
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

ok, thanks. Though I got the OWC drive for the mac since it was most recommended for best mac compatibility.
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post
ok, thanks. Though I got the OWC drive for the mac since it was most recommended for best mac compatibility.
Mac's these days use the exact same hardware as any other PC. So there isn't any real compatibility issues like there us to be with the Power PC models.

As a lot of Mac people think you need Mac hardware for Mac computers. 99.9999999% of the time that is not the case.

About the only removable part that has to be the same is the DVD drive and that is only because it is a Slot Load drive instead of a Tray load drive. Try load wouldn't fit unless you cut the case open so the tray could go in out and in.

Good luck with your system and best wishes.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
Not sure if it is the best thing to do on OWC SSDs. If you go to there website they say you shouldn't. But on all the SSDs I have installed in either PCs or Mac's I have enabled TRIM support. But none of those drives are from OWC. I prefer to buy SSDs from companies that don't Re-Brand there products. Kingston, Intel, OZC, Crucial and the like.

OWC buys there SSDs, and all other parts they sell, from some place else and then Re-Brands them.
Wow. Where does OWC say their drives are rebranded? Their drives rate better than just about all the manufacturers you listed. OWC also does extensive testing on their products before they will sell them, and have leading warranties on the products they sell.

OZC? Their SSD drives are a joke, especially in slightly older model Macs.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

While may people have success with other brands and they're fine SSDs, I also know quite a few people who have had issues with OZC etc., and don't know anyone who've had any problems with OWC, and as mentioned tend to be very highly regarded, so for that reason, and because this is a production machine where I have zero time to play with issues, I figured the extra hundred bucks or so was worth the sure thing OWC gave me.

Anyway, I wasn't looking to defend my choice of brand, I was just looking for a tip on the trim thing. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

So OWC manufacturers there own SSD drives? They have a manufacturing plant someplace just to make there SSD drives?

I don't think so. They also don't make there own RAM.

Never said anything about the quality of any of the Other Brands I listed. But I do know that each of them actually do Make the SSDs they sell.

Thanks and best wishes.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
While may people have success with other brands and they're fine SSDs, I also know quite a few people who have had issues with OZC etc., and don't know anyone who've had any problems with OWC, and as mentioned tend to be very highly regarded, so for that reason, and because this is a production machine where I have zero time to play with issues, I figured the extra hundred bucks or so was worth the sure thing OWC gave me.

Anyway, I wasn't looking to defend my choice of brand, I was just looking for a tip on the trim thing. Thanks.
OWC says it doesn't need TRIM enabled because the firmware on their SSDs take care of the garbage collection. I've had an OWC SSD installed for almost a year now without TRIM enabled and haven't noticed any issues.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Quote:

I wasn't trying to say the SSDs that OWC sells aren't good and or won't work correctly in any computer. But they are really no different then any other, excluding the bad runs of firmwares and controllers used in this relatively new technology.

All new technology has its glitches. Look at the first run of the iPhone 4. No manufacturer is excluded. Not even Intel or Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I have a Crucial M4/256 and I enabled TRIM immediately after installing it. I've never had any issues one way or the other.

OWC has their own custom firmware and they may very well have some kind of garbage collection algorithm on-board, as TRIM support was lacking in OS X until more recent versions and they've been marketing their drives for some time now.

But OWC doesn't market exclusively to Macs, I've read reviews for the OWC SSD line in MaximumPC, amongst other OS agnostic publications. I do seem to recall OWC not only offering TRIM support but mentioned of it being enabled in some of those reviews. I don't see why it would be detrimental on OS X.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

interesting. I spoke to one other that has it enabled and no problems.

Am just trying to get an idea of whether I should or not, and how I would if I did.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Just give Trim a miss with your OWC SSD:-

To TRIM or not to TRIM (OWC has the answer) | Other World Computing Blog

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

The problem I have with that article is that it was written 7 months ago.
then other problem is with Apple for not automatically enabling TRIM on all SSDs and not just the ones they sell, with a computer or afterwords.

Why does Apple make these choices?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook - to upgrade or not to upgrade | Not a hipster... MBP worth the money? =) »