New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

changing hard drive on MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lynn7553

Lynn7553 is on a distinguished road

I am getting ready to install a new Seagate Momentus hybrid drive in my 2009 MacBook Pro. I have read some of the other threads on how to do this with Carbon copy and cloning the drive. I am nervous about doing this, and just want to relay my exact configurations and see if there is anything else I need to do before starting.

I have OS X Lion 10.7.3 installed on my current drive, along with Parallels and Windows 7. I have 2.26 ghz intel core 2 duo processor with 4 gb of RAM. I have done a time machine backup (just in case), and have downloaded carbon copy cloner.

None of the other threads I found mentioned cloning onto a hybrid drive or having a bootcamp partition. Do I need to do anything differently?

Thanks in advance for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Shootist is infamous around these parts

Read this thread.

Updating Hard Drive
QUOTE Thanks
Lynn7553

Lynn7553 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have read that thread, but I don't see anything in regards to a boot camp partition. I have done some more research, and from what I read on Carbon copy, this can not be done. It sounds like I can not clone the boot camp partition.
Does anyone have any experience with that?
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Shootist is infamous around these parts

You are right, sorry I didn't read through your complete first post.

To my knowledge it is a 2 step process and that may or may not work. Since the boot camp partition is formatted NTFS which OS X can read from (with certain versions of OS X) but it can not format NTFS or write to a NTFS formatted drive.

I'm going from memory here but I think you have to clone your OS X drive to the new one. Then run BC again and create the BC Win partition and reinstall Windows thenn use something like WinClone to clone your current Win install to the new install on the new drive.
But don't hold me to that.
QUOTE Thanks
orionf22

orionf22 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am considering upgrading my 2009 MBP with this:

Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive

I saw this thread and wanted to followup with some clarification:

I run 10.7.3 and Windows 7 ENT 64-bit on my existing Seagate 500GB HDD. Windows 7 is terribly slow, though OS X is decently fast. I want to upgrade with the drive above but still have a bootcamp partition such that both OS X AND Windows 7 can access the best of the hybrid drive. Can this be done safely and securely?

I am not concerned about data preservation; I'll make backups and pull what info I need from them during/post reinstall.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

What do you want to know, how to install the drive and/or how to partition it to use Bootcamp?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
orionf22

How to partition it for bootcamping such that each OS has access to the SSD and HDD sides of the drive. If the procedure is the same as a standard HDD, except you choose the SSD as the drive on which to install, then I should be good.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I would first let OSX use the SSD part and then partition the normal drive for bootcamp and OSX file storage, you need to use Bootcamp assistant to handle partitioning the non SSD part for Windows to work under bootcamp

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
orionf22

So I cannot let Windows use a partition of SSD combined with a partition of HHD? It has to all be on the HDD?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad 3 vs MacBook Pro 13" | Having probelms with Quick time install »