New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Intel HD 3000 and VMWARE?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newbimac

newbimac is on a distinguished road

Was going to start using VMWARE fusion to run windows on my MBA but upon doing a little bit of research there seem to be some issues with the card not coping well with windows via bootcamp or VMWARE.

Can someone out a bit ore meat on the bone with regards to what problems/limitations there are?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Shootist is infamous around these parts

I use Fusion to run Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and Mint 12 on a late 2011 MBP without problem using either the Intel or AMD graphics. Mainly the Intel 3000

Not sure where you heard that but I wouldn't put much faith in it. All virtual machine programs install there own graphic system that then addresses the video card in the computer. The VM OS really never sees the actual hardware graphics card that is installed in the system. That is why they call it a Virtual Machine. Everything is virtual and the VM software addresses the physical hardware in the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
newbimac

newbimac is on a distinguished road

I think issues were that the drivers in bootcamp don't really work that well.
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Shootist is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimac View Post
I think issues were that the drivers in bootcamp don't really work that well.
Ah Boot Camp is not a Virtual Machine. Boot Camp is a separate partition that Windows is installed to.

You can migrate (not the correct term) a BC Windows partition into a Fusion virtual machine but then it is a virtual machine and not booting to Windows on a boot camp partition.

You do know that you don't need to use boot camp to have Windows installed in a Fusion virtual machine?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro and USB | Bought my first Mac »