New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Advice on MBP 15-inch Configuration

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dooley13

dooley13 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

This is the first time I've ever started a thread, and I searched around before so I hope that I'm not going to bore anyone by asking the same questions as a lot of other threads.

I purchased an iMac in 2011 and absolutely adore it, but I need to replace my old Dell Inspiron as I am finishing my Bachelors and will be starting my Masters next year. I have been researching the new MBPs for months now, but I still am unable to make a couple decisions regarding the custom configurations.

Mainly going to be using: lots of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PPT, internet, and limited music and pictures
-I realize that these running these programs is nothing compared to photo editors and the like, BUT I plan on keeping this machine a while and if I am going to drop at least $2500 I just want it to have the best configuration as possible. (My limit is $3000)

1. I understand the SSD option is preferable, but I'm concerned with the limited storage.
-Would it be better to get the MBP with SSD from Apple, then use an External HD (such as time capsule)
-OR- getting the MBP with 750GB (at 7200 rpms) and adding a SSD when the prices drop?

2. Is it possible to buy additional HD or SSD from Apple and have them do the install? because I am not sure if I feel comfortable altering it myself and more than that I am afraid of voiding the warranty

3. While trying to figure out which hard drive to go with I found some threads dealing with 7200 rpm causing vibrations, humming, and excess heat output.
-has Apple resolved this issue with the October 2011 MBP (15-inch)

4. For the 15-inch MBP, would 8gb of RAM + 750gb (7200rpms) cause any problems with the hardware (such as overheating, straining the machine, or vibrations/humming)

5. I will definitely purchase AppleCare, but I am considering Square trade as well
-can anyone let me know of their experiences (positive/negative) because I am not sure if its worth it or not

Sorry for all the questions, but I attempted to get everything I have been stressing over in one post. I appreciate any help and suggestions, and thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My New Macbook Pro | Macbook Pro External Keyboard issues »