New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro External Keyboard issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

apseubert

apseubert is on a distinguished road

Hey,
So I'm new here (first post) I'm not sure if this is the right place for this kind of post but I was wondering if anyone knows what's up with my external keyboard. I'm running the 15" Macbook Pro 2.4GHz duo core (late 2010 model) still loaded with Snow Leopard 10.6.4( I don't upgrade because of software compatibility with Protools), and I'm using one of the newer aluminum wired keyboards (the slim ones) and I'm having some issues withe the function keys. I can't get them to work as the default media keys (volume, screen/key board brightness) regardless of the system preferences option (use as standard function keys) it doesn't matter if it's checked or not or whether I'm pressing the Fn key or not, they just don't work. Everything else on keyboard works fine with the exception of the enter key on the numeric key pad (not the return key), it doesn't do the function that it is supposed to in my Protools program. Any thoughts, hints, tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated since its an $80 keyboard and I'm not getting the functionality out of it that I bought it for. Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Which keyboard do you have? You mentioned $80 which is not the correct price for the Apple wired aluminum keyboard. Unless your dollars are not US dollars?

In any event.... note that the current Apple aluminum keyboard will only work correctly with OS X 10.6.8 and above. So, you have a choice: Either upgrade Snow Leopard to 10.6.8, or order an older Apple aluminum keyboard which will work OK. However, the older keyboards are difficult to find and almost impossible to distinguish from the newer model.
QUOTE Thanks
apseubert

apseubert is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for your help! I've been scouring the internet for the last few days before I decided to join this forum.Looks like I'll be needing an upgrade then after all. Thanks again for all the help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice on MBP 15-inch Configuration | can't find compatible charger for my powerbook G4 15' model A1905 »