New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

i7 Dual-Core Hyperthreaded vs True Quad-Core

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JWOWW

JWOWW is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I am looking at buying my first Mac, but am unsure which one to pick.....

I found one with the following specs:

Macbook Pro 15" (Mid-2010)

2.66ghz i7 Dual-Core
8GB RAM
Nvidia 330m 512MB VRAM
80GB SSD
Matte display

How much do you think the above model is worth?

I really wanted a Quad-Core i7, but how much difference is there between say, a 2.0ghz i7 Quad-Core, and this 2.66ghz i7 Dual-Core?

From what I understand, the i7 has hyperthreading technology, so even with a Dual-Core processor, the computer sees 4 cores, right?

How much extra would you pay for a true Quad-Core machine? I'm trying to decide if the cost savings of buying the Dual-Core is with the sacrifice in number or cores?

This one DOES have the SSD, which I really like - and if I was to buy a Quad-Core machine, I would probably have to pay another couple hundred extra to upgrade to a SSD....

I'm going to use it for photo/video editing, and want something that will last a number of years, and be FAST.....
QUOTE Thanks
ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" Intel i5 4GB RAM. Intel P4 w/ HT @ 3.0GHz 4GB RAM Debian GNU/Linux

The computer will see 2 physical cores and 2 logical cores on the dual core if I recall correctly. Since you'll be doing video/photo editing I'd go with the quad core, which also comes with hyper-threading.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« do I need to buy a microphone? | My New Macbook Pro »