Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   MacBook Pro runs very slow when unplugged (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/267520-macbook-pro-runs-very-slow-when-unplugged.html)

PNewt 02-23-2012 12:40 PM

MacBook Pro runs very slow when unplugged

My 2011 MacBook Pro runs amazing when i have it plugged in. Very fast, no lagging and all apps run smoothly. when i unplug it from the power source it is terrible! everything lags. i cant even scroll in a web browser. any idea why this happens? and how i can fix it?

PNewt 02-23-2012 12:44 PM

i have the core i5 processor and 4gb memory

chscag 02-23-2012 01:56 PM

It sounds like the machine is being throttled back because it can't "sense" that it's on battery. In other words, the machine thinks the battery is removed. It could also be other causes. Try resetting the System Management Controller first. See this Apple KB LINK. If that doesn't work, make an appointment with your local Apple store to have it looked at.

PNewt 02-23-2012 02:26 PM

well that didnt work. still runs terrible when unplugged from the power adapter. i guess ill make a trip to the apple store down the road. is there no way for me to manually change what the computer does when i unplug it?

I.M.O.G. 02-23-2012 03:37 PM

I'm an OSX amateur, but in windows you can configure power options. One of the options are to set separate power profile for battery usage and plugged in usage. On battery, i5 processors use speedstep to scale back the processor power and conserve battery life by default. However in the power profile, you can set it to use more power when on battery.

Are there similar power profile options on a macbook pro?

PNewt 02-23-2012 03:46 PM

im familiar with what you are talking about but from what i can tell that same function does exist on a mac :\

PNewt 02-23-2012 03:47 PM

someone please let me know if it does, i believe that is something that could solve my problem...

Deckyon 02-23-2012 03:54 PM

I cant see the settings for my MacBook Pro, but I think IMOG is correct, on the notebooks, you can throttle performance to help prolong battery life. I can only see my MacMini settings (the MBP is off at home, I am at work, remoted into the Mini).

You will need to bring up your System Preferences and go to Energy Saver.

PNewt 02-23-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deckyon (Post 1373853)
I cant see the settings for my MacBook Pro, but I think IMOG is correct, on the notebooks, you can throttle performance to help prolong battery life. I can only see my MacMini settings (the MBP is off at home, I am at work, remoted into the Mini).

You will need to bring up your System Preferences and go to Energy Saver.

that just has to do with the display going to sleep. i cant control the actual performance of the machine based on the power being plugged in or not

PNewt 02-23-2012 04:07 PM

unless im missing something

PNewt 02-23-2012 07:01 PM

MacBook Pro runs very slow when unplugged

is it possible to keep my mac from slowing way down when i unplug it? i cant seem to find anything on here to control that. i know on a PC you can pretty easily tell it to go fast or go slow whether plugged in or not. idk what the problem is exactly and it may not be fixable by changing something like that but i was just wondering if that is doable. thanks

chscag 02-23-2012 09:16 PM

(As you've been advised, take it to your local Apple store and have them check it out.)

No such settings exist for the MacBook Pro. And please do not cross post. I've merged your posts together here.

PNewt 02-23-2012 09:43 PM

Thanks for the help. Sorry for doing something so terrible.

I.M.O.G. 02-24-2012 12:30 AM

He was polite, didn't say it was terrible. It just creates more work for moderators, and it is confusing for other members because the same conversation is taking place in two different places - so they don't know whats already been recommended or attempted in the other thread. It is more polite to everyone to hold the discussion in one place. No biggy, just out to get you the right answer. :)

newbimac 02-25-2012 02:03 PM

Not offering a solution, but thinking out loud. Slow scrolling in web browser, could there be a graphics issue either driver or hardware with the integrated graphics card that it could be defaulting to in battery mode, i guess the test for this is using the discrete card in battery mode?

Also do you have some sort of battery/energy optimisation utility that kicks in when it detects the system goes on battery power that is hogging the CPU?