New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Mounting screws for Macbook Pro's hard disc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

militis

militis is on a distinguished road

Hello,

my original 1TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue internal crashed, so I replaced it with a new one.. BUT the new one doesn't have the 4 small mounting screws on the side that mount it to the plastic brackets of my 15'' Macbook Pro. (if you are not sure of which screws I'm talking about look at the "IMPORTANT" part of step 6 on these instructions:MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) How to install a replacement hard drive.)

Do you know a place online where I can buy these type of screws? Is it too dangerous to put the drive without the screws?

Thank you in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Not cheap, but they are out there...

MacBook Pro 17" Screw Set - iFixit

ETA: what happened to the screws that were in your original hard disk? Most people just remove those and install them on the new drive.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You're supposed to remove them from the old drive and screw them into the new drive

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
militis

militis is on a distinguished road

The old drive was under warranty so I sent it to WD to replace it...but I did not remove the screws since I was afraid that it might void the warranty...

Thanks for the link XJ but on the description of the product it states "all screws except those from hard drive".. so I doubt that they are included...
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by militis View Post
The old drive was under warranty so I sent it to WD to replace it...but I did not remove the screws since I was afraid that it might void the warranty...

Thanks for the link XJ but on the description of the product it states "all screws except those from hard drive".. so I doubt that they are included...
Sorry about that, I only scanned the link. I'd call an Applestore or Apple Support and just explain the situation. I'm sure they are available.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro going very slow. | Nvidia Malfunction »