New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro going very slow.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aaydjrlb

aaydjrlb is on a distinguished road

Hi, i've had my macbook pro for 2 1/2 years now, so its getting on a bit. I'm not that great with computers...so was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Basically, in the last 2 months its started going really slow. When i open a few programs at a time, like chrome, itunes, skype, mail etc. it can't handle it very well. Opening a new tab or loading 2 videos on youtube it struggles with too. It also gets pretty hot. I constantly find myself restarting every few hours.

Was wondering if there is anything i can do about this? Or should i just completely wipe it and reinstall the operating system?

I have Mac Version 10.6.8, 2.26 GHz, 1GB memory.

Plus i still have 40GB free. From browsing these forums it says that these signs show that memory would be low? Do i need to purchase more ram? Is that worth it?!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

An extra GB or two of ram wouldn't be a bad idea.

But the first thing I'd do is run repair permission/disk verify from Disk Utility.

Then get Onyx for Snow Leopard and run the automation scripts.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Random Sleeping/Battery issues?? | Mounting screws for Macbook Pro's hard disc »