New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Got my first Mac :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" Intel i5 4GB RAM. Intel P4 w/ HT @ 3.0GHz 4GB RAM Debian GNU/Linux

I just bought a MacBook Pro base model 13 inch. I love it

I've got my favorite music player (Banshee) installed and everything works amazingly. I'm having some slight issues with configuring my NFS mounts but hopefully I can figure it out. Also, can I use an NFS mount for Time Machine?
QUOTE Thanks
Ctrl-Opt-Del

Ctrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really nice
Mac Specs: Not got one, yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageJPEG View Post
can I use an NFS mount for Time Machine?
A question about using networked drives for Time Machine back-ups was recently asked here.

You'll find a lot of your questions have probably been asked - and answered - before; always try a search before posting a new thread, it saves you - and the rest of us - a lot of time!

Good luck resolving your issue, enjoy your Mac and your time here on Mac-Forums

For my purposes as an engineering undergraduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!
QUOTE Thanks
Steviej893

Steviej893 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid '11 iMac 21.5", iPad 4 w/Retina Display 16GB, 13.3" MacBook Pro (Late '11) 500 GB HD, 2.4 GHz

Congrats on your new purchase from one new Macbook Pro owner to another.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageJPEG

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" Intel i5 4GB RAM. Intel P4 w/ HT @ 3.0GHz 4GB RAM Debian GNU/Linux

I'm still having issues with my NFS server. I even had a senior representative from enterprise tech support try to help me with no luck. Basically I've tried connecting via Finder. From the "Go" menu. However, I receive an error after typing "nfs://192.168.1.3/home/shared". Weird thing is, DiskUtility says it has found the server and can connect to it. However, when I go to one of the mount points I setup in Disk Utility, no luck. I'm curious if there's special settings I would need to use/enable on the Linux box.

I know that my MacBook Pro can connect to the server because I also run a Minecraft server on my NFS server. I can connect to that without any problems :/
QUOTE Thanks
ImageJPEG

I took a video of what the issue I'm having is.

Mac OS Lion: NFS Mounting Issues - YouTube
QUOTE Thanks
ImageJPEG

Anybody?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

This page discusses mounting NFS and a similar issue to yours. They suggest creating an Alias... worth a punt:
Mac OS X Lion Samba and AFP workarounds | frankly at a glance.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If mrplow's suggestion doesn't work, try using a symbolic link instead of an alias. The BSD subsystem of OS X doesn't recognize aliases, but symlinks it does. Finder thinks they are the same thing.
New IMac SSD / IPhones, IPads backup

Also try putting your NFS folder in the root directory. Maybe there's some permissions issues going on with your home folder. You should also try repairing permissions.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageJPEG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61175880/Scr...41.38%20PM.png

Still no luck :/
I know I'm trying to cd to /NFS and not /Users/josh/NFS by the way. I tried opening the symbolic link under my user account folder with no luck either.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageJPEG

Any help?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Will this guide help?
How to configure an NFS share from Mac OSX to Linux

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageJPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I need a username and password to get access to that website.

Nevermind, I've solved it!!!

Turns out I needed to add "insecure" to my "/etc/exports" file.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageJPEG View Post
I need a username and password to get access to that website.

Nevermind, I've solved it!!!

Turns out I needed to add "insecure" to my "/etc/exports" file.
Well now THAT is odd. No password was needed when I first found it, but now I do need one.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems installing ram | how to clean the inside (like porous texture) of the macbook? »