New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Not a hipster... MBP worth the money? =)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
It's interesting that you bring this up. I saw a discussion recently where people pointed out a very simple fact - for all intents and purposes, Photoshop is exactly the same program across platforms. While OS X may have had an advantage in the past (given that many graphics features were baked into OS X), that advantage appears to have been lost. Granted, I'm not an artist/PS user (I am a self-professed philistine) but it would appear, from where I'm sitting, that you have a valid concern.
Agreed. I've always wondered about that myself.

In my opinion, it comes down to personal preference. If you really grok Windows, just stick with it. But if you find yourself less than satisfied, the Mac is a very good alternative.

As far as the value goes... that's a tough one. And it's easy to get caught up comparing specs. Where the MacBooks really shine is in the materials and design of the machines. If you line one up against your run-of-the-mill generic Windows laptop, you can get a feel for how finely crafted it is by comparison. To some people, that's worth the premium.

It's kind of like that with the OS too. I've often heard OS X described as being "fluid", and I think that's an apt description. Everything feels very seamless and quick. Windows 7 is a nice improvement over XP, but it's just not as nicely put together as OS X is. And under general use, OS X just feels faster to me.

But again, to Vansmith's point - software packages like the CS suite don't inherently run better, and there are no practical advantages that I'm aware of (other than not needing to run an anti-virus product, which can tend to bog down a machine).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Shootist is infamous around these parts

Are they worth the money.
IMHO No they are not. You can get one **** of a Windows PC for what the mid range Macbook Pros cost and you won't have problems switching your Adobe CS5 programs over to Mac, which will cost you as Adobe doesn't so that for free.

Macs use the Exact Same Hardware as Windows PCs. And they suffer the same OS and program glitches. If they didn't there wouldn't be all these Mac forums around.
If they Just Worked then you wouldn't see all these posts on all the Mac forums.

Also there are just more and better programs for Windows. There are only a few programs made that don't have a version that runs on Windows and for those there are multiple other program that do the same things.

Even Apple specific programs run as good if not better on a PC. Like iTunes and iCloud.
And all there other hardware works just as good if not better on a PC. Pods, Pads, Phones even there Airport stuff.

And if you haven't heard Mac's are Not easier to use. They are just different.

Yes I own a Mac, a MBP 15" late 2011. But I also own Windows computers. What do I use the most, what platform do I use for work? That would be Windows PCs.

So think long and hard if you want to go through the learning curve, the change over to all new programs and or cost of switching to Mac programs.

Good Luck.
QUOTE Thanks
Skierxman

Skierxman will become famous soon enough

The best way to make up your mind if a MAC is better for you than something else is to read objective reviews and do a lot of window shopping. Ignore all the PC vs MAC stuff and just make your own decision.

You can read reviews and opinions until the cows come home but you should go into the Apple store or a BestBuy and spend some time playing around with the Macbooks or Imacs. Don't just go in and play around with the gear. Think about what you will be primarily using the MAC for and what things will take most of your time--graphics, music, browsing, business?. When testing out the equipment, use the software and features that represent th majority of your interests in a computer. This will give you an idea of the user experience, the product itself, and what you can expect. Once you are done, move over to the PC laptops and repeat. Compare and contrast.

If you are impressed with the MAC and think its worth the money, buy it. If not, get something else. Its really that simple. People make it too complicated. You are purchasing a computer, not signing your life away.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
Even Apple specific programs run as good if not better on a PC. Like iTunes and iCloud.
And all there other hardware works just as good if not better on a PC. Pods, Pads, Phones even there Airport stuff.
That's a little ridiculous. iTunes on Windows is terrible compared to the OS X version (the same goes for Safari) and iCloud, as a cloud system baked into OS X, is much better intergrated than the Windows version. I also fail to see how iOS devices work better with Windows. I'm not going to argue that it's magnitudes better on the Mac but how does Windows handle USB syncing "just as good if not better"? Care to elaborate on how this is so?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

I don't care to reply to your questions.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Skierxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
That's a little ridiculous. iTunes on Windows is terrible compared to the OS X version (the same goes for Safari) and iCloud, as a cloud system baked into OS X, is much better intergrated than the Windows version. I also fail to see how iOS devices work better with Windows. I'm not going to argue that it's magnitudes better on the Mac but how does Windows handle USB syncing "just as good if not better"? Care to elaborate on how this is so?
I have found Safari to run less efficiently on my WIndows machine but have had no issues with Itunes. I see no diffference in performance compared to running Itunes on my Macbook. I have been using Itunes on the PC for five years and it works just as seamlessly as it does on the Macbook. Synching to my Ipod or Ipad offers the same performance. Operationaly, I notice no practical differences. I don't use Icloud, however so can't comment on that.
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Where in my post did I say anything about Safari? I didn't even mention it.

I don't know anyone that would run Safari on a PC as there are at least 3 better browsers for that platform.

IE, Chrome and Firefox.
Chrome being my main browser on all platforms. Windows, OS X and Linux.
QUOTE Thanks
Skierxman

I tried running Safari on my PC but it is too slow and prone to quirks when run on a windows machine. I prefer Safari on the Macbook. On the PC it is crap.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't care to reply to your questions.

Thanks.
Why not? You made some interesting claims about the performance of Windows, on a Mac forum, with no evidence to back them up. I don't think asking for some justification is too much to ask.

Your reticence suggests that you don't have any answers, which makes me think you're just trying to troll us.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

Think what you want. That is your right to do so.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

You are correct - it is my prerogative just as much as it is yours. However, it would be nice to hear some justification. However, you can't just walk into a discussion, make a baseless argument and refuse to support it. Is there any reason you don't want to justify your position?

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

They are not baseless. They are my personal experience which I don't have to justify to you or anyone else.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
They are not baseless. They are my personal experience which I don't have to justify to you or anyone else.

Thanks.
You also don't have to share them, but normally in conversations when someone offers opinions based on their experience they are willing to elucidate . . . It is usually the basis for informed discussion and differentiates it from uniformed ranting.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Shootist

I don't care to have a conversion on it.
One reason I did not care for the tone of the posts by VanSmith. So I see no reason to reply to those type posts.

I have no doubt ruffled some feathers in the Mac community about the Mac Experience.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

You've misread my posts - they were not confrontational or combative in any way. I simply asked for some justification which is more than warranted when you make claims about some products with little to no elaboration. You can't walk into the middle of a Coca Cola factory and yell "Pepsi rules!" without expecting someone to question your assertion.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SSD => enabling trim? | macbook pro with dual monitor question »