New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook says 'not charging' but it is, just super slowly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rgatsby

Rgatsby is on a distinguished road

So I've had my 13" white macbook for about 3-4 years now and for some reason the battery will charge when it's plugged in, but the icon says "not charging", and the battery takes FOREVER to charge.
I've gotten a new magsafe, gotten a new battery, and still the same problem.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Did you replace the original MagSafe Adapter charger with an original Apple one or was it a third party replacement? Same for the battery?
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

How much is left in the battery when you first plug it in?
QUOTE Thanks
Rgatsby

Rgatsby is on a distinguished road

@chscag
Both the battery and magsafe were acquired at the mac store, so they weren't 3rd party items.

@rabbitjetta
I plug it in at different percentages, I usually try not to let it die completely before I plug it in so it wont take as long to get back to a full charge
QUOTE Thanks
domasac

domasac is on a distinguished road

I am having this same problem, just replaced the magsafe board and bought a new battery, both apple oem parts, computer says not charging, if I sit and watch it, it goes up 1% here and there, and when i put it in standby and leave it over night, fully charges, no lights light up on the magsafe, unless its when i first plug it in, it turns green and then stays a very dim lit green every once in a while, very strange. Help?
QUOTE Thanks
mheadroom

mheadroom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by domasac View Post
I am having this same problem, just replaced the magsafe board and bought a new battery, both apple oem parts, computer says not charging, if I sit and watch it, it goes up 1% here and there, and when i put it in standby and leave it over night, fully charges, no lights light up on the magsafe, unless its when i first plug it in, it turns green and then stays a very dim lit green every once in a while, very strange. Help?
It's like you have the same computer as me.

I'm running 10.8.2 on 15-inch Late 2008 Macbook.

I recently recovered from some water (orange juice) damage and swapped in a hard drive from another Macbook. My battery has been through 68 cycles and the charger is brand new.
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

ChrisMan287 can only hope to improve

Maybe a SMC reset is in order?
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

15" PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD ; 16GB iPad2.
QUOTE Thanks
mheadroom

mheadroom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
Yeah, I've done several. No dice. For the record, I've done it both by unplugging the magsafe adapter then removing the battery, five second press, replacing battery and putting back the magsafe adapter. And vis-a-versa
QUOTE Thanks
fzanetti

fzanetti is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.33G DUO CORE 17"

I am having the same problem - macbookpro5,2

Tried SMC, PRAM, new MagSafe and still no luck...

Please help!!!

Thanks!

Flavio Zanetti

Flavio Zanetti
Boston, MA
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mackbook pro mouse not clicking? | MacBook 13" early 2009 Display Issue Help! »