New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

justinea

justinea is on a distinguished road

So. I have a white Macbook unibody. I bought it refurbished, from Apple, May 2010

Couple weeks ago my child spilled a little bit of juice on it, and I dried it out and it is still functioning, aside from the fact that a few keys are sticky (any way to un-stickify those?)

Some of the problems it has been having are this:

Safari takes up too much ram. CD drive no longer works, just spits stuff out. Sticky keys from juice spill. Fan runs a lot and the machine runs hot. Battery life is about 2 hrs, so it lives plugged in.

Took it to Genius Bar to see about how much a repair would be.
They said it would cost $750 to fix everything that might be broken in it. Basically re-refurbish it.

So I am toying around with this idea, or purchasing either a MBP or MBA...

What would you do? Fix this one and throw in some more RAM? Or buy a new one?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Personally I think I'd look to getting a refurbed MBA or MBP Then sells the MacBook as is on eBay etc

But Safari has known ram issues, you can try Firefox or Chrome and see if you have the same issues.

The batteries have a finite lifespan so that's not too surprising.

The CD drive is replaceable and the case could be opened and cleaned of dust etc which may help the fan issue. Perhaps you have a local PC/Mac repair shop that would do that for a nominal fee.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook with Windows | cleaning macbook keyboard? »