New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Best MacBook Pro Accessories?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nicolesmithweb

nicolesmithweb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB RAM

My husband and I both recently bought 13" MacBook Pros, and with his birthday coming up, I thought about getting him an orange cover and an orange keyboard cover, but with all the brands and choices on Amazon, I wasn't sure what the best and especially if the keyboard cover is annoying and just for looks.

Any favorite brands? Anyone have colored covers they like?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I just picked up an Incipio Feather. I'm not sure if they make it in orange, but I like it better than the Speck See-Thru Satin that it replaced (it'e a lot less bulky).

But each of the covers seem to have their drawbacks. The Speck was pretty solid, but one of its clips failed (cracked off) after awhile.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

19birel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz i5 13" MBP antiglare 16gb RAM 500gb HD OSX 10.9.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I just picked up an Incipio Feather. I'm not sure if they make it in orange, but I like it better than the Speck See-Thru Satin that it replaced (it'e a lot less bulky).

But each of the covers seem to have their drawbacks. The Speck was pretty solid, but one of its clips failed (cracked off) after awhile.
Did you remove the cover semi frequently or did it just grow brittle from daily opening and closing and crack off? I'm wondering because Ijust bought the same cover for my new 13" Pro yesterday.

EDIT: To keep this from being a total thread jack I have heard that the silicone keyboard covers can be annoying though I have personally never used one myself. If you can find a good one though, I would say to go for it as it will keep tiny bits of hair etc. from getting stuck in the keys and if you spill a little water it should provide some protection. I have the Speck enclosure that CWA is talking about, and I like it so far, though it is a little bulky (not too bad though) but I have only had it since last night so I really can't give a full report

I MISS SNOW LEOPARD ;(
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19birel View Post
Did you remove the cover semi frequently or did it just grow brittle from daily opening and closing and crack off? I'm wondering because Ijust bought the same cover for my new 13" Pro yesterday.
About once every 2-3 months I would pop it off and clean any cruft out that had accumulated under the front most lip of the bottom piece. It seems there's enough of a gap that you can collect stuff beneath it.

The Incipio is pretty much the same way - but it has even more of a gap at the front palm rest area. The difference is, the Incipio doesn't have quite as narrow of tabs keeping it in place (and it has less of them).

I don't think there's an ideal snap on cover for the MacBook Pro to be honest. They all have little compromises. It's just a shame that the manufacturers don't seem to put all that much thought into how they fit and work over the long run.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

Yeah, when your paying $50 for these pieces of moulded plastic it woud be nice for them to be better designed. How long did yours last?

I MISS SNOW LEOPARD ;(
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19birel View Post
Yeah, when your paying $50 for these pieces of moulded plastic it woud be nice for them to be better designed. How long did yours last?
I'd say about a year. I think I paid about $35 for the Speck from Amazon. So, definitely shop around.

QUOTE Thanks
19birel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I'd say about a year. I think I paid about $35 for the Speck from Amazon. So, definitely shop around.
I guess a year isn't too bad considering my iphone case is already disintegrating and it's only 4months old. And I didn't think to check Amazon, I'll definitely check there next time before I go to the Apple Store.

I MISS SNOW LEOPARD ;(
QUOTE Thanks
SimeonAS89

SimeonAS89 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" 2.3ghz Core i5 MBP, 2G 8gb iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S

I'm a recent switcher and so far I've picked up a black Incipio Feather case and a GTX black keyboard cover. I haven't had too many issues yet, but with the Feather case other than some sharp edges around the close latch and palm rest area, and also fingerprints. I'm pretty happy with this case so far, and it doesn't give any noticeable weight. I purchased the Incase hardshell before the Feather and it felt like it added a ton of additional weight to the computer. I also noticed scratches where the little clips would latch onto. It was a nice case, just didn't like the weight.

I would definitely do some shopping around as these cases getting pretty pricy pretty quick.

As far as the keyboard cover goes, I have no issues. It does what its supposed to. If you use your keyboard back light, I would probably steer clear of the one linked above. You can see the lights around the keys, but the letters do not light up. I've taken this thing off maybe once to wash it and it was like new again. As far as the keys go, having a cover does make the keys a little harder to push, but after awhile you get used to it. I make little errors here and there, but overall I'd highly recommend purchasing if your looking for protection.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Air keyboard characters misplaced | Upgrading memory on a Macbook Pro 15 »