New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Install a samsung 830 SSD in my macbook pro 2011.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joeyvegt

Joeyvegt is on a distinguished road

I am trying to install a samsung 830 SSD(256GB) in my brand new 13" Macbook pro.
Whenever I install it and boot the mac I get three beeps.

If I put the old HD back in it works fine. The SSD works fine on a windows machine.

I have seen other Macbooks with this SSD work without a hitch.
Ive alreaddy tried to reinstall the ram since three beeps usually mean there is a problem with the ram. But this does not change the situation, HDD works, SSD three beeps.

What could be the problem?

UPDATE:
I tried repartitioning the SSD on a Imac, worked without problems.
Put it back in the Macbook, bang, three beeps, put the original HD in, boots just fine.

This is quite frustrating, both the SSD and the Mac are brand new.
If I cant solve it myself which do I send back? The Macbook works fine with the original disk, the SSD works fine in any other PC.
QUOTE Thanks
jgraeff

jgraeff is on a distinguished road

beeps usually indicate hardware problem, you obviously know how to hook it up considering you have on other machines...

Sata is backwards compatible isn't it? thats the only thing i could think of if its not, if you macbook is sata2
and the drive is sata3.. not sure just an option to look into
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Send the Samsung back and buy a "real" SSD from these folks. LINK Samsung drives (both standard and SSD) have been problematic. I wouldn't buy one. (my opinion)

The Samsung is probably not compatible with your MBP 13" even though it might work in a PC. The three beeps definitely indicate a hardware problem.
QUOTE Thanks
stefanradev

stefanradev is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2.13 GHz SSD

I did not have any problem to install the 830 SSD/256 GB in My MBP late 2011. I just formatted it and put it in the machine.
Maybe you have to look at your Hardware for event. problems or the Samsung can be defect. Change it by your dealer and try. It is not unknown incompatibility for Samsung SSD and Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

could you use an enclosure or adapter to run externally using samsung ssd ? Make sure volume format is extended,
when you when to erase and get a clean samsung disk.
copy the internal hd over to external in your case with samsung ssd using ccc carbon copy clone, then boot up from samsung ? see how it works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Constantly ejects Mac OS X Boot disc | macbook sleep trouble? »