New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Ye olde iBook G4 screen problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kelv

kelv is on a distinguished road

My friend has an old iBook G4 and the screen has decided to go all funky. Has anyone any idea whats causing it or seen a screen go like this before?

Im guessing its a graphics chip/card problem rather than something like a loose cable but would like others opinions before I break the news that iseither scrap or needs a reflow etc.

Tanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Im guessing its a graphics chip/card problem rather than something like a loose cable but would like others opinions before I break the news that iseither scrap or needs a reflow etc.
Could be, but the way to find out for sure is to hook up an external monitor to the iBook and see what it looks like. If the external monitor displays the same symptoms, then it's the GPU. If not, it's probably the display itself that's defective.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Without an external monitor to confirm as chscag mentioned, there really is no way to be totally sure. However, to me that really looks more like a logic board/graphics chip problem, rather than the screen.

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
kelv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Could be, but the way to find out for sure is to hook up an external monitor to the iBook and see what it looks like. If the external monitor displays the same symptoms, then it's the GPU. If not, it's probably the display itself that's defective.
That was the plan but getting hold of the mini VGA adapter isn't as easy or quick as I had hoped,they seem a bit rare nowadays
QUOTE Thanks
kelv

OK, matey has decided he wants to try it with an external monitor, problem is getting hold of the cable i.e one of these

Does anyone know anywhere UK based that srocks them? All I can find are HK/China suppliers which Im not a big fan of handing over my details to.

Tar
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelv View Post
OK, matey has decided he wants to try it with an external monitor, problem is getting hold of the cable i.e one of these

Does anyone know anywhere UK based that srocks them? All I can find are HK/China suppliers which Im not a big fan of handing over my details to.

Tar
Have you tried Amazon UK?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelv View Post

Tar
kelv, PC World had a good range of connectors the last time I looked.

Also, being a fully paid up member of the Battery Stasi I have just noticed that you are choking your lithium battery, that is unless you are doing the 'once every few months' battery calibration regime.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

If it is the graphics card which it might be then make sure to backup your files. It could also be a connector that is loose.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to Prepare MacBook Pro for New Owner | MacBook with Windows »