Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Is MacKeeper worth buying? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/266371-mackeeper-worth-buying.html)

Realest99 02-11-2012 06:07 PM

Is MacKeeper worth buying?

Its for $38. Just want to see how you guys feel about this app.

TattooedMac 02-11-2012 06:16 PM

NO NO NO

Stay away from it what ever you do. There are so many threads here with people having problems with there Mac and it comes down to MacKeeper. Ill search out some threads and info for you, but I'm sure everyone in this forum will agree with me.
Dont do it. Save your $ and look at something like Oynx and MainMenu 1.7.4 . . . Ill be back.
I will return.

I prefer MM and if you dl that 1.7.4 version, don't upgrade it because it will ask for money. This is a free version but still does a great job. I bought it bc i liked what a good job it did.

Cheers

EDIT : http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...mackeeper.html
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...per-worth.html
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...an-my-mac.html

harryb2448 02-11-2012 06:26 PM

Avoid like the plague as MacKeeper is rather a slimy tale:-

MacKeeper swindling its customers. Alternatives readily available.

The only folk who recommend it from what I can see are the developpers!

Realest99 02-11-2012 08:50 PM

From the reviews I've read on other threads I don't get why people hate it so much? It saved me 8gb by deleting files that I don't need for example, 2 gbs of languages for software that I clearly don't need.

Can someone explain why they hate this product?

Say some cons about it and not just say it sucks or recommend other apps.

TattooedMac 02-11-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realest99 (Post 1368565)

Did you not read the link Harry supplied?? Just google MacKeeper troubles and see what you come up with. Once installed its very hard to uninstall and leaves things running in the background that take up precious RAM.
You asked what we thought of the App so you are going to get people say SCAM and all but if you like to keep it, keep it. We are here to warn people off it because as i have said earlier you will have problems with it.
I Hate it because its a scam, it doesn't work as advertised and its a scam
You have been warned.

Lifeisabeach 02-11-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

From the reviews I've read on other threads I don't get why people hate it so much? It saved me 8gb by deleting files that I don't need for example, 2 gbs of languages for software that I clearly don't need.

There's cheaper and even free software that do that exact same thing.

Quote:

From a marketing standpoint, they are slimy. They have dozens of fake websites that are the internet's equivalent of the infomercial that claim to do "reviews" of the software comparing it to other software. They have posted fakes inquiries into the product in these very forums, which were rapidly followed by faked praise for it. They have a full-time "evangelist" who haunts sites like MacUpdate and actively rebuts and combats anything negative about the software.

Speaking of negativity… the software has caused issues for quite a few people here. The AV component alone is a resource hog. It's not even Mac-native… it's Windows code running under WINE.

Want alternatives? Depends on what you want to do. For occasional maintenance and cleaning, Onyx is used and recommended by most everyone here. IceClean is an alternative that is very good in its own right. The only tool of this class that I recommend spending money on is TinkerTool System (not to be confused with plain old TinkerTool). It's an outstanding utility that excels at explaining the various tasks it offers, and wraps up in one package many maintenance and cleaning modules that you'd need 3 or 4 others to get all together otherwise. A couple of its tools are best in class, IMO. It's Uninstallation Assistant alone is the only "uninstaller" I know of that will check for helper files in all user accounts, not just the one you are using it in. I don't really like the UI very much… Onyx is superior in that regard. But then when it comes to beauty, CleanMyMac is utterly gorgeous, but avoid that… many people have had issues with it, and I consider that software to be rather misleading in what it does as well.

Realest99 02-11-2012 11:35 PM

Thanks for the comments, there helpful. I will get rid of MacKeeper, it runs stuff that your not aware of. I wished I came on here first for advice. Thanks again.

MacDude121 02-12-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realest99 (Post 1368621)
Thanks for the comments, there helpful. I will get rid of MacKeeper, it runs stuff that your not aware of. I wished I came on here first for advice. Thanks again.

It sounds like you already installed it, and from what I've read it's like grim death to get rid of. Simply dragging it into the trash doesn't delete it entirely, it takes a good uninstaller and a few Disk Utility clean ups before it can be wiped from your system, or so I've been told. :|

Realest99 02-12-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDude121 (Post 1368776)
It sounds like you already installed it, and from what I've read it's like grim death to get rid of. Simply dragging it into the trash doesn't delete it entirely, it takes a good uninstaller and a few Disk Utility clean ups before it can be wiped from your system, or so I've been told. :|

I trashed all MacKeeper files including the folder in the library. I haven't had any problems so far.

dmccloud 02-15-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

MacKeeper has a reputation for screwing up computers, and their business practices when it comes to issuing refunds and addressing customer complaints makes Microsoft and Dell look like saints.

There's several free alternatives that will work better than MacKeeper. In addition to Onyx and Main Menu mentioned above, there's Monolingual and CCCleaner. I use Monolingual on my Mac to remove unecessary languages, and in my case it freed up about 5GB of disk space just for languages. CC Cleaner can handle temp files, browser caches, etc, and it also has a Windows equivalent, which I use on Windows machines as well.

chipz 02-15-2012 11:25 AM

Is MacKeeper worth buying?

The simple answer to that question is NO! MacKeeper is a resource hog. It scans and tells you to delete certain files. If you don't pay attention, you will wind up removing files that should never be deleted. It also recommends various updates as being available for your software. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you that some of those "upgrades" require an upgrade to OS X 10.7! That program is a disaster . For the fun of it, I tried it on an old computer by downloading a free trial copy. The only way I could get rid of everything it added to the computer a\was to erase the entire HDD and reinstall everything over. I have heard horror stories from many about this program and I can vouch for their truthfulness. Stay away from MacKeeper.

shahar 05-10-2012 09:39 AM

MacKeeper and printing issues

I'd been having problems printing to a Samsung ml-1660 from Lion. It was only printing 1 job at a time before needing to be restarted.

I updated and re-installed drivers, re-started the computer, nothing worked. Then I un-installed MacKeeper trial version, and the problems have gone.

I don't know that it was related to MacKeeper, but I couldn't find any references to the problem in any searches I did.

In case anyone else has this issue, here it is for the record.

wolfpuppies3 05-10-2012 04:43 PM

Very worthwhile

I use it all the time on my MBPro and my MB Air.

RavingMac 05-10-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 (Post 1403823)
I use it all the time on my MBPro and my MB Air.

That is most definitely a minority opinion.

cm105bpp 07-20-2012 12:09 PM

Previous paying user of Mackeeper

I tried Mackeeper a year ago based on good reviews on CNET and bought a one-year subscription. I used it occasionally to clean up my system due to my old habit with Windows. While Mackeeper's display of the amount of space recovered initially impressed me, it soon become ho-hum because the amount of space saved was insignificant. About 9 months ago, Zeo-bit threw in Antivirus and System Tracker for free. When their Antivirus conflicted with another Standalone Antivirus Suite that came with a back-up drive, their Zeobit's online tech support provided decent response and resolution. The System Tracker on Mackeeper freaked me out because the camera on my Macbook Pro would take random snapshots out of the blue. When I once checked, Mackeeper's System Tracker place my laptop about 75 miles from where I was, so I turned off the function just to get rid of the annoying random camera shutter sound my Mac gives off. I wonder if those snapshots were taken because the software decided my laptop was stolen because it placed me too far away from where I had it registered,

After my paid-for Standalone Antivirus Suite subscription expired, I went back to ClamXAV and the antivirus on Mackeeper. In comparison, the OpenSource ClamAV in ClamXAV seems to be updated every time I used it, whereas I started getting concerned with how often I don't get virus signature updates when I ran the anti-virus program on Mackeeper. In comparison, the free Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus programs get daily updates from Microsoft; and it's free.

About the time when my one-years subscription expired, I started getting annoying pop-ups from Zeobit offering me an upgrade discount to MacKeeper 2012. After reading several user reviews, I uninstalled the program by dragging the executable from Applications folder to Trash. That action brought up Mackeepers Uninstaller (didn't know I had such a program) that I used and had to supply some reason while I uninstalled. A few days later, for want of a system cleaning tool, I reinstalled the app again. After reading this thread and Thomas's Tech Corner today (Thomas' Tech Corner » Beware MacKeeper), I downloaded AppCleaner from CNET.COM and used it to uninstall MacKeeper.

AppCleaner showed me a surprising 7-9 files found for deletion. I dutifully clicked OK and let AppCLeaner delete those files. Here's a surprise, the memory resident portion of MacKeeper brought up a pop-up that offered to uninstall MacKeeper. The pop-up program had no CLOSE button. OS X's Force Close does not show MacKeeper as an executing program. Finder does not see MacKeeper in my Applications folder. I closed all programs and shut my system down, then rebooted it. Now Mackeeper is gone.

Many of you are right, Mackeeper worth is questionable in my experience, and it's hard to get rid of. The article in Thomas's Tech Corner has a feature-for-feature alternative for Mackeeper that I would certainly check out some more.