New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Sound Cutting out in MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Highland28

Highland28 is on a distinguished road

Hi All,
The sound keeps cutting out on my Macbook. I understand that there is a small red LED that flashes in the earphone port when this problem occurs and by pushing the button in the port in it stops the problem from happening for a while. It was doing this before I upgraded the software to Snow Leopard. It then stopped for a while s I thought the software update had cured the problem but it is back.

Does anyone know what I need to do in order to resolve this problem?

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Highland28

Can no-one help??
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland28 View Post
Can no-one help??
Some extra info may help...such as exactly what model MacBook you have...and exactly what OS version you're running.

I'm familiar with a bunch of the MacBook models...and I'm confused by the references to a "button" in the earphone port...and the small red LED that flashes (but maybe it's a MacBook model I'm not familiar with).

And just one more quick thought. Are you 100% sure the problem is with the computer...and not with the headphones? Since if it's the headphones...a new pair would probably solve the issue. Do you have a 2nd set of earphones to test with?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Highland28

The model is the Macbook 'White' from 2009. I am running OS X 10.6.8. The red LED is basically a light inside the earphone port that seems to flash every so often, the 'button' has probably got to be the worst description I have ever used. But it is what triggers the difference between having earphones/speakers in and not, therefore turning the built-in speakers on and off.

I have tried it with both my speakers and earphones and it has been occurring with both, even when I am just using the built-in speakers it cuts out too.

It does seem to be an interesting one, and I can't seem to find any info on it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You're just going to have to keep pushing the small switch inside the jack to turn off the red light. Whenever that red light is on or flashing, the sound has switched to digital and cuts off the speakers and or the headphones. The switch is very sensitive and is known to malfunction. The only cure other than keep turning it off is to change out the logic board. (The switch assembly is surface mounted to the logic board.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Horizontal Scan Lines on Early 2006 Macbook Core Duo 2.0Ghz | Macbook Air Unibody Damage - How much for repairs? »