New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

My Poor MB.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

This doesn't seem normal at all. >_>" I wondering if I need a new LCD display or if this is something else entirely. If it is the display itself it going to cost around 150 USD to replace myself. >_>"

What do you guys think? I still use my MB. Just not as much because it's dim compared to the MBP and it has that yellow tint to it, which it didn't have when I first got it.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Can you connect an external monitor to the MB and see if that has the same symptoms ?
if it has, then it is probably the graphics card, not the LCD itself.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

If you have to replace it, I'll warn you ahead of time that it's not a process for the faint of heart. The machine has to be COMPLETELY torn down because of the way the lid casing is designed. If I was a betting man, I'd say you'll need a new panel. It just looks like the old one has degraded over time - and they weren't great panels to begin with.

I just got done doing this on an early 2009 model (right before they switched over to the plastic Unibody version) and it was not pleasant.

Interestingly, the old panel was a Samsung and the new one was a Toshiba. There was a WORLD of difference between the two. The Toshiba was much brighter overall with a more balanced tint to it. I got the panel from Powerbook Medic for $119. It was cheaper on eBay, but I felt more comfortable having the warranty from PBM.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
What do you guys think? I still use my MB. Just not as much because it's dim compared to the MBP and it has that yellow tint to it, which it didn't have when I first got it.
If you're using the MacBook by itself (not next to anything else for comparison) does it really seem dim??? Maybe this is only an issue if it is compared directly (side by side) with the MacBook Pro.

I know that the newer laptops are brighter & whiter (LED vs. LCD)...so it may just be a case of the newer technology being different (brighter)...and not a situation of the older technology actually being different (or worn out) than it's supposed to be.

Unless the MacBooks display is actually dimmer than it should be (versus when it was new)...I would just "Keep on Truckin" as things are. Also...maybe the "yellowness" is only being noticed because of the comparison...and not because it has changed.

Basically what I'm trying to say is...if you didn't have the MBP for a side by side comparison...would you even be concerned??

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If you're using the MacBook by itself (not next to anything else for comparison) does it really seem dim??? Maybe this is only an issue if it is compared directly (side by side) with the MacBook Pro.

I know that the newer laptops are brighter & whiter (LED vs. LCD)...so it may just be a case of the newer technology being different (brighter)...and not a situation of the older technology actually being different (or worn out) than it's supposed to be.

Unless the MacBooks display is actually dimmer than it should be (versus when it was new)...I would just "Keep on Truckin" as things are. Also...maybe the "yellowness" is only being noticed because of the comparison...and not because it has changed.

Basically what I'm trying to say is...if you didn't have the MBP for a side by side comparison...would you even be concerned??

- Nick
Even without the MBP comparison I'm still concerned. I noticed that the screen is a lot dimmer that it use to be. Plus the yellowish tint is very noticeable even without the side by side comparison. Going to try and hook it up to my external monitor and see if there is any difference.

I also noticed small crescent shaped marks on the bottom half of the screen which is probably damage from pressure. My g/f sat on it on time. >_>" It also does something weird on Chrome where the scroll bar changes colors from like blue to yellow which it never did until the screen started to get dim and turn yellow.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Even without the MBP comparison I'm still concerned. I noticed that the screen is a lot dimmer that it use to be. Plus the yellowish tint is very noticeable even without the side by side comparison. Going to try and hook it up to my external monitor and see if there is any difference.
I see...just throwing some ideas your way. You can obviously can see the computer in person...and know it's history.

If it's one of those older 2.0-2.4ghz Core 2 Duo MacBooks...they're worth approx. $350-$400...so a $150 or more investment is a pretty good chunk of it's total value.

But they're still VERY good computers...so it still may be worth it if you intend on keeping it for a long time.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

You didn't somehow accidentally switch color profiles? I had mine wrong once and was all freaked out till I found it and changed it back to default

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
You didn't somehow accidentally switch color profiles? I had mine wrong once and was all freaked out till I found it and changed it back to default
It was the first thing that I checked before posting.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have an MB of similar vintage and that does not look normal. Mine next to my iMac looks the same tint and very close on brightness. Did you try it on an external display as yet?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Hey Crimson....

I've seen notebook machines that looked that before and it's usually due to a backlight that's dimming or yellowing. Sometimes they get that way when they get old and it only happens to the CCFL type. Like Chris said, you can get a new display which includes the backlight from the Powerbook Medic folks, or send it off to iResQ and have them change it out for you. Give iResQ a call for price first as they have a toll free line.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Do you use your Mac book outside and in situations where the artificial daylight is perhaps of a Tungsten Halogen or Metal Halide source? Is the ambient temperature high in this location?

If bromine has been added to flame retardants before plastics are moulded then Ultra -Violet and heat can slowly release it causing yellow staining.

Edit. Just noticed chscag's comment. Cold Cathode creates UV from mercury vapour discharge in order to excite the fluorescent internal coating of the lamp.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I have an MB of similar vintage and that does not look normal. Mine next to my iMac looks the same tint and very close on brightness. Did you try it on an external display as yet?
I did and it's looks just fine on the external screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Hey Crimson....

I've seen notebook machines that looked that before and it's usually due to a backlight that's dimming or yellowing. Sometimes they get that way when they get old and it only happens to the CCFL type. Like Chris said, you can get a new display which includes the backlight from the Powerbook Medic folks, or send it off to iResQ and have them change it out for you. Give iResQ a call for price first as they have a toll free line.
Thanks I'll keep that in advisement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
Do you use your Mac book outside and in situations where the artificial daylight is perhaps of a Tungsten Halogen or Metal Halide source? Is the ambient temperature high in this location?

If bromine has been added to flame retardants before plastics are moulded then Ultra -Violet and heat can slowly release it causing yellow staining.

Edit. Just noticed chscag's comment. Cold Cathode creates UV from mercury vapour discharge in order to excite the fluorescent internal coating of the lamp.
Very rarely do I use my MB outside and if I do it usually at night.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
I did and it's looks just fine on the external screen.

Thanks I'll keep that in advisement.

Very rarely do I use my MB outside and if I do it usually at night.
Ok no problem . I was just theorising about UV generally and then noticed the comment on CCFL. What my edit was referring to was that CCFL is Cold Cathode Fluorescent which will emit UV to have the said effect of releasing bromine from the plastic.

Yellowing in plastics with flame retardant bromine additives is common under these circumstances, particularly with acrylics. I used to work for several leading European lighting manufacturers and they used to work very hard to prevent it.

If screen yellowing is common to the CCFL version of the Macbook then it's maybe reasonable to surmise the link.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook (2007 Black Model) Speakers Tweaking? | 13" MBP ridiculously slow »