New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Can't decide on which Macbook Air to get

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chocolateYum

chocolateYum is on a distinguished road

Hello!

After my laptop broke, my insurance providor is giving me a new laptop, but I can add on my own money if I want something more expensive. I was thinking of using this opportunity to buy a Macbook.

The reasons for this are mostly because I find laptops too large and heavy. With a Macbook Air 11", I could fit it in my handbag and wouldn't need a second bag to hold my notepad and lunch etc.

However, I had a go on the 11" today, and I'm still not sure about the screensize. The laptop would be used for university work and various programs which the course requires.

I have a PC at home, which I usually transfer my work to inorder to work on anyway, so I really can't decide on the screen.

The larger Macbook air is quite a bit more expensive, but then it has 4gb ram and 7 hour battery life. Then again, it's larger...

I need to decide by tomorrow, and was hoping for some feedback. This will be my first ever Mac.

Thank you in advance!

Edit: Or maybe I should get a Macbook Pro...
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

personally, dont get the 11", especially if this will be your main mobile PC. Also, keep in mind, you cannot upgrade any part of the machine. Everything is soldered onto the logic board.

Most important for general daily use will be RAM. Always get the largest amount available. This cannot be upgraded at any time after you order/purchase.

Next is CPU. Again, cannot be upgraded.

Hard Drive can't be upgraded, however you can use USD devices to increase at least storage. I still would not go less than 128GB.

Get the best one you can afford, or wait an extra month for the next one up.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateYum View Post
With a Macbook Air 11", I could fit it in my handbag and wouldn't need a second bag to hold my notepad and lunch etc.

However, I had a go on the 11" today, and I'm still not sure about the screensize. The laptop would be used for university work and various programs which the course requires.
This decision is actually not as difficult as you may think. You basically already mentioned that you like the 11" size (to fit in your handbag)...but you're concerned that the 11" display is too small. Easy enough...then it sounds like the 13" is what you need to purchase.

I'm guessing you would want to get the lower-end 13" MacBook Air (with 128gig of storage)...although 256gig would be better.

Now you just have to figure out if you have the budget for the 13". If you do decide that the 11" MacBook Air is sufficient for your uses...DEFINITELY DEFINITELY get the 4gig of ram version. If you get the 2gig of ram version (to save money)...you will seriously regret this later on!

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

An easy decision for me for exactly the reason you are attracted to it - portability. Mine is 4 gig memory and 256 gig SSD and I love it. I throw it in a Saddleback Leather MacBook Air sleeve (MacBook Air Sleeve) and then in a briefcase, back pack, wherever. Fantastic machine, light, portable, easy to use, long long battery life.
QUOTE Thanks
chocolateYum

Thank you, everyone for your replies!

I have decided to go with 4gig ram. I'm not bothered about storage space as things that take up a large space will either be on my PC or external hard drive.

For those who have the 11". Do you find the size annoying?

The 7 hour battery on the 13" makes it appealing and is good for protability, but a smaller notebook is just as appealing lol.

Also, how many years would you expect a Macbook Air to last? People say they would expect theirs to last for about 4 years, but I'm not sure if they're talking about when they would want to upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Also, how many years would you expect a Macbook Air to last? People say they would expect theirs to last for about 4 years, but I'm not sure if they're talking about when they would want to upgrade.
This totally depends on your needs. A new computer purchased today could still be useful 10 years from now if all someones needs are internet & e-mail (assuming the computer is not abused physically).

In my personal opinion...the MacBook Airs are the worst Macintosh computer someone can buy...if computer longevity is a concern. Why?...a max. of 4 gig of ram is pretty limiting. Compare this to all other currently selling Apple notebooks (MacBook Pro's)...all of them can be upgraded to 16 gig of ram...giving them a "fighting chance" of being more useful in the long-term.

This is the price you pay for being hip, trendy, and stylish!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
chocolateYum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
This totally depends on your needs. A new computer purchased today could still be useful 10 years from now if all someones needs are internet & e-mail (assuming the computer is not abused physically).

In my personal opinion...the MacBook Airs are the worst Macintosh computer someone can buy...if computer longevity is a concern. Why?...a max. of 4 gig of ram is pretty limiting. Compare this to all other currently selling Apple notebooks (MacBook Pro's)...all of them can be upgraded to 16 gig of ram...giving them a "fighting chance" of being more useful in the long-term.

This is the price you pay for being hip, trendy, and stylish!

- Nick
Haha thanks for your responce.

Well, my computer will be upgradable for a very long time, so I'm not very worried about how long the Macbook will stay 'good' for, since if I ever do something that uses a lot of CPU or anything, my computer would be faster anyway.

The Macbook would be mostly used for word processing, research and random web browsing. Basically, it is for university and maybe a future career. When I'm at home, I will probably put my work onto USB and work from my PC.

However, 4 GB RAM would still be best, just for future's sake.

What do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Have you looked into an iPad with an external bluetooth keyboard? It sounds like you dont even really need a full blown computer anyway.

QUOTE Thanks
chocolateYum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
Have you looked into an iPad with an external bluetooth keyboard? It sounds like you dont even really need a full blown computer anyway.
That's a really good idea and I would prefer to do that, but I will need it for various software that my course requires, such as a network simulator.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Install that software on your home PC, install SplashTop or LogMeIn on both and you can remote to your home PC.

QUOTE Thanks
chocolateYum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
Install that software on your home PC, install SplashTop or LogMeIn on both and you can remote to your home PC.
Thank you, but that would require leaving my PC on while I'm away. Also, I forgot to mention that I can't stand touchscreen lol
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Well, my computer will be upgradable for a very long time, so I'm not very worried about how long the Macbook will stay 'good' for, since if I ever do something that uses a lot of CPU or anything, my computer would be faster anyway.
I'm sort confused by your response above. Two of your questions in this thread were:

1. Can't decide on which MacBook Air to get?
2. How many years would you expect a MacBook Air to last?

How do you figure that your "computer will be upgradable for a very long time"?:

- the ram is NOT upgradeable
- the storage capacity is not "intended" to be upgraded
- the ONLY thing that is upgradeable is the OS (when new versions are released).

Usually when folks talk about "upgrading" their computer..they're talking about hardware upgrades...and basically...nothing on the MacBook Air is internally upgradeable.

It also depends on what someone considers a "very long time". When it comes to computers...I would consider 5-7 years a "very long time"...but someone with "serious" computing demands...may consider 2-3 years a very long time.

Again I'm very confused by your reply quoted above..."Well, my computer will be upgradable for a very long time, so I'm not very worried about how long the Macbook will stay 'good' for, since if I ever do something that uses a lot of CPU or anything, my computer would be faster anyway."

...since you're the one asking the questions...you seem to be answering them as well with this statement (not sure what info you're basing this statement on)?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Nick, she means she has another computer at home. The Air is for her handbag.

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
chocolateYum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
That's correct. Sorry if I didn't make that clear
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
Quote:
That's correct. Sorry if I didn't make that clear
OK...I get it!...sorry for the confusion...I thought we were only talking about a new MacBook Air.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can someone help with this? | Trackpad button stopped working »