New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

HD issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sophie999

sophie999 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am new on this forums, and not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I own MBP, bought new 2 years ago. I upgraded to Hitachi 500GB HD when ordered from Apple store (They shipped it to me with that HD). I just had my second HD failure during 2 years. First one was giving me I/O errors on my disk monitoring software, but this time there were no errors. I use BC with Win 7 as well, and the PC disk monitoring was OK as well.

Mac has been freezing intermittently for the last several months with spinning wheel, requiring reboot. I though it was RAM, and swapped the modules. But one day it froze and would not come back. I was able to power it up with the external back-up drive, realizing HD probably died.

I do have extended warranty, and they swapped it again for the same HDD.

Is that normal, having HDD failure each year? This is my first mac and I was going for 15 inch air if it indeed comes out later, but now I am concerned.

Is there anything wrong with 500Gb Hitachi? Can there be something wrong with the machine causing HD to fail? Is this normal now that most of HDD made in China/Taiwan?

I had old PCs with 10 year old drives, still flawless. I do use Tech tool pro 5, and it did not indicate any errors until everything was dead.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

Sophie
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Hard drives can fail at any time. I've had brand new hard drives right out of the box that were DOA (dead on arrival). You've just had a run of bad luck with two hard drives. Don't worry about it and as long as your machine is under warranty, Apple will replace the drive. Just make sure you keep making backups so as not to lose any data. It's very likely that any future MacBook Pro or MacBook Air you purchase will have a Solid State Drive (SSD) in it and will be more reliable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with MacBook Pro trackpad | Early 2008 MacBook Win7 poor game performance. »