New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro microphone jack experience

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

Hello,

I will be buying an external microphone to use with Skype with more than one person at the table. What I ran into in the past, was that some microphones don't work with the MacBook Pro jack, can anyone share their experience and/or technical knowledge about the audio input jack? I know it's some sort of hybrid and not just a classical 3.5 jack, but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Thank you for any input.
Best regards.

The computers that will be used with this are late 2008 MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and 2011 Air with Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

They are hybrid sockets in that they are combined analogue and optical digital sockets but that's not really the issue. It's that your Macbooks have a Line/Audio In and a Line/Audio Out. Not a microphone in jack.

To use an external mic you'll need either:
- a usb mic
- a line level mic
- a mic connected to a pre-amp - connected to your Mac

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I would bet the problem was with the type of mic involved. The MacBook Pro's input is actually typwhat is called a line level input. To work properly it needs a higher signal than some mics generate. OK for connecting line level devices like tape decks etc. Some mics work because they have built in pre amps to boost the signal.

You could get a pre amp and connect a mic to that input. A better option might be to use a USB based mic. I have used some of the headset ones with Skype and the USB ones should work. My desktop mic is at work at the moment or I would test that as well.

Nice summary Mr. Plow. Are you sure there isn't snow you should be clearing somewhere? lol

I don't know what your budget is but there are some conference mics designed for this type of recording. Cheapest ones I have seen though are a few hundred dollars and go up from there. I did find a description of how to use multiple usb mics for podcasting and the process should work with Skype http://thedudesays.blogspot.com/2007...b-mics-in.html

Haven't tried this personally but it looks like it might do the trick if you already have the mics http://www.usbfever.com/index_eprodu...oducts_id=2526

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

Ok thank you guys for the insightful info!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My MacBook (2011) overheated while sleeping and overheats quickly now. Please help | Blu-Ray »