New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro 15 screen issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mattb91

mattb91 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

So, my issue is that, after having my 2011 MacBook pro 15 closed/asleep for a long period of time (eg. overnight) when I wake it up I occasionally get a weird image where everything works normally and most (if not all) of the colours show up normally, except all the black parts on the screen are displayed as fine, bright green, vertical lines... it has occurred 3 or 4 times so far, and every time it happens I wait a minute to see if anything changes and then if I close the display and open it back up, everything goes back to normal.

I have had the computer since August 2011 and have only started having this problem recently, and it only happens from a cold start.

originally I thought it was possibly an issue caused by the cold temperature of the computer when I awaken it from sleep, but I don't know if that theory has any merit.

It does not occur when the computer is already running normally, but only when it is just woken up from a sleeping state

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? And is this s sign of hardware failure soon to come or is it just an annoying glitch that is harmless?

My computer specs are:
Early 2011 Macbook pro 15"
Hi-Res, Anti-Glare display
2.2ghz quad core i7
AMD Radeon 6750M 1GB
8GB RAM
500GB HDD @7200rpm
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It should not be occurring, regardless. If it's something that seems to happen more often, I would make an appointment with your local Apple store genius and take it on for them to look over. The machine is still under warranty and if there is something to be corrected, Apple will do it without cost to you.
QUOTE Thanks
mattb91

mattb91 is on a distinguished road

thanks for your response. I know that i should probably take it in, but I am a student, and this is the only computer I own, and I need it for class work etc. at least a few hours each day, so going without it for a week or more is unfortunately not really an option if it is still in working condition.

I was hoping that someone may have already dealt with this issue and knows what is causing it, and if I need to be concerned about hardware failure in the future.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slower Boot Times | Advice Needed »