Specs:
    Powerbook pro(Intel)
    Format New MacBook Pro
    Just ordered a new MacBook-Pro and it will have OS Lion as its' system.
    Software upgrades are expensive.

1. Am I able to format a separate partition of about 125 GB with OS 10.5.8 and migrate my current drive to that partition?

2. Could I use a firewire clone of my current drive and run my "old" stuff from there?

Thanks,

Charlie

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    I assume you think you have a piece of software that won't run in Lion? What is it? Have you definately confirmed is non-compatibility?
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    Powerbook pro(Intel)
    New machine is a MacBook Pro, 15" non-glare, 8 GB Memory, 500 GB drive.
    Software includes many that I use/have-used for years: Appleworks 6, FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Office, iListen, MacDictate, OmniPage, WillMaker, and many others that have indicated upgrades are no longer available.

That's why I'm trying to determine whether-or-not I can partition the new drive with a separate partition for OS 5.8 or run an external firewire clone of my current, soon to be old, MacBookPro.

I still have a screen frame damaged G4 set up in my computer closet to run old classic software as well. I can't physically move it for fear of having the screen come apart but it's still useable and software is non-replaceable.

Thanks,

Charlie

Specs:
    21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
    How much longer?
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppercharlie View Post
    New machine is a MacBook Pro, 15" non-glare, 8 GB Memory, 500 GB drive.
    Software includes many that I use/have-used for years: Appleworks 6, FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Office, iListen, MacDictate, OmniPage, WillMaker, and many others that have indicated upgrades are no longer available.

That's why I'm trying to determine whether-or-not I can partition the new drive with a separate partition for OS 5.8 or run an external firewire clone of my current, soon to be old, MacBookPro.

I still have a screen frame damaged G4 set up in my computer closet to run old classic software as well. I can't physically move it for fear of having the screen come apart but it's still useable and software is non-replaceable.

Thanks,

Charlie
    Hi Charlie,

Instead of making plans to put very old software on your new machine, I think a bigger and more importatn question is how long to you intend to keep the old stuff running and think thru the reasons that you need it.

Unfortunately the nature of technology purchases is change.
    This stuff will eventually have to be retired at some point, and you need to start making plans to do that.

Certainly worth thinking about?

DavidH

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    You won't be able to run 10.5 on your new macbook pro. There simply are not drivers available to support the new hardware.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    And several of those programs you mentioned above are PPC apps which will not run in Lion. Time to update your software.

Specs:
    Powerbook pro(Intel)
    Thanks for responses folks
    Thank you all for your responses.

I guess the bottom line will be trying to find replacements for some of my vintage software. Since my first computer, original Apple with "C" prompts and all, before appletalk and hard drives, I have disposed of somewhere around $20,000.00 worth of vintage software plus many machines. I was just looking for a cheaper way to "finish" dealing with the stuff. Time to get things in "order" and limit what I need.

Thanks again everyone,

Charlie

Mr
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    I assume you think you have a piece of software that won't run in Lion? What is it? Have you definately confirmed is non-compatibility?
    Lion is superb, why would you want to mess with a new mac, you can usually solve incompatibility issues without too much hassle, as I have for printer and scanner, if someone has put you off Lion, dont listen to them

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybonsax View Post
    Lion is superb, why would you want to mess with a new mac, you can usually solve incompatibility issues without too much hassle, as I have for printer and scanner, if someone has put you off Lion, dont listen to them

If by 'without too much hassle' you mean purchase intel native versions.. ok
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Thread Information