New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Genuine Apple Battery..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BennyDigital

BennyDigital is on a distinguished road

Hello guys.. Does anyone know how I can be 100% positive my Macbook battery is 100% genuine please? Thanks, Ben
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyDigital View Post
Hello guys.. Does anyone know how I can be 100% positive my Macbook battery is 100% genuine please? Thanks, Ben
It would help if you told us exactly what model MacBook you have (there are/were lots of different models).

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
BennyDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
It would help if you told us exactly what model MacBook you have (there are/were lots of different models).

- Nick
Hello mate, Cheers for the reply. I have a macbook 13 mid 2007 A1181.. My original battery died and the cheapo replacement I bought is causing my mac to shutdown. I bought another which supposed to be "genuine"?! Is their a foolproof way of telling if the battery is indeed genuine.

Cheers again.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Hello mate, Cheers for the reply. I have a macbook 13 mid 2007 A1181.. My original battery died and the cheapo replacement I bought is causing my mac to shutdown. I bought another which supposed to be "genuine"?! Is their a foolproof way of telling if the battery is indeed genuine.

Cheers again.
Thanks for the info. The reason why I asked for your MacBook model is...a couple of the newer (and last) MacBook models were the "Unibody" design...which have non-user removable batteries...which would almost 100% guarantee that the batteries are original "equipment". But obviously your 2007 MacBook has the removable battery.

Do you still have your old MacBook dead battery? If so...you could compare the old & new batteries. If not...generally "genuine" Apple battery's have the Apple logo on them...and the words "Designed by Apple in California" (or something like that) will be printed on it (you have to remove the battery to see this).

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The best indicator (because some clones are very convincing) is the reputation/reliability of the retailer you bought it from.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
BennyDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Thanks for the info. The reason why I asked for your MacBook model is...a couple of the newer (and last) MacBook models were the "Unibody" design...which have non-user removable batteries...which would almost 100% guarantee that the batteries are original "equipment". But obviously your 2007 MacBook has the removable battery.

Do you still have your old MacBook dead battery? If so...you could compare the old & new batteries. If not...generally "genuine" Apple battery's have the Apple logo on them...and the words "Designed by Apple in California" (or something like that) will be printed on it (you have to remove the battery to see this).

HTH,

- Nick
Cheers Nick.. It all looks original but it must be so easy to make a fake, just for peace of mind I might take it to the apple shop..
QUOTE Thanks
BennyDigital

Quote:
Cheers Nick.. It all looks original but it must be so easy to make a fake, just for peace of mind I might take it to the apple shop..
I should add it was cheap. That's why I'm a tad concerned.
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

j0nb0y32 is a jewel in the roughj0nb0y32 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

i would agree with mrplow in that if you bought it from the apple store or via apple website, then it will be the most genuine you could get
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

Quote:
I should add it was cheap. That's why I'm a tad concerned.
In life, if it looks too good to be true, it normally is..
QUOTE Thanks
BennyDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nb0y32 View Post
i would agree with mrplow in that if you bought it from the apple store or via apple website, then it will be the most genuine you could get
I simply could not afford to fork out 110 on a battery from the apple shop.. If this battery does turn out to be a fake I'll be sending it back as it is advertised as "Genuine"
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

Quote:
I simply could not afford to fork out 110 on a battery from the apple shop.. If this battery does turn out to be a fake I'll be sending it back as it is advertised as "Genuine"
how about taking some pics and posting on here, together with the serial numbers etc...someone may be able to run a check for you.

i do understand that the price is bait steep, i have done it 3 times in the past 3 years...
QUOTE Thanks
BennyDigital

Quote:
how about taking some pics and posting on here, together with the serial numbers etc...someone may be able to run a check for you.

i do understand that the price is bait steep, i have done it 3 times in the past 3 years...
Yeah.. I have to say It's not been delivered as yet, The first thing I'm gonna do is check it in my system profiler for serial number. I think It'd be safe to say if it has no serial It's hooky. What's pissing me off is that my old battery is packed away in the loft with the rest of my life waiting to be moved to my new house. Do I go for it or what? Is the box among many other boxes marked 'old mac battery' I doubt it? Did I throw it away? I dunno?
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

Quote:
Yeah.. I have to say It's not been delivered as yet, The first thing I'm gonna do is check it in my system profiler for serial number. I think It'd be safe to say if it has no serial It's hooky. What's pissing me off is that my old battery is packed away in the loft with the rest of my life waiting to be moved to my new house. Do I go for it or what? Is the box among many other boxes marked 'old mac battery' I doubt it? Did I throw it away? I dunno?
can you to run with AC power until it arrives?
QUOTE Thanks
BennyDigital

Quote:
can you to run with AC power until it arrives?
Yeah the battery I have a the moment works but states 'service battery' I took it to the genius bar and the girl I spoke to said she was pretty sure the shutdown problem I'm having is down to the none apple battery. She said "it knows"
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

Quote:
Yeah the battery I have a the moment works but states 'service battery' I took it to the genius bar and the girl I spoke to said she was pretty sure the shutdown problem I'm having is down to the none apple battery. She said "it knows"
As i said, i have never come across that before the last 3 times i have replaced. I knew something was wrong when sometimes it would charge and sometimes the computer would say not charging....

then it just collapsed. i just order from the apple store on line as Morocco is not the place to have apple re-sellers close to you..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WooHOoO, I got a case for my new MBP | Macbook Pro 13inch 2010 »