New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrade now to new MacBook Pro or wait?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bronsonart

bronsonart is on a distinguished road

I have a mid-2008 MBP and thinking it's time to upgrade soon.

Is it wise to upgrade now or wait or is there talk of a significant new offering coming down in terms of this product line?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

If you can wait up to 6 months, then it's worth the wait. If it's something you need now, get one now. I'm in the market and will be waiting for next best MBP coming up in 2012.

Of course, that way of thinking could drag out forever and you'll never upgrade but you have to make the leap at some point. Just saying...

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

You have a working 2008 MBP . . . Wait.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
You have a working 2008 MBP . . . Wait.

I have a working 08 and 11 mbp. Hrm, I must be impatient .

Seriously though, updates typically come in the spring and fall. If the 08's working for you now, I'd wait a couple months and see what the next update is like. The jump from the 08 to the 11 was HUGE.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Medic278

Medic278 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" High End MacBook Pro 27" High End iMac iPhone 4 iPad multiple iPods

I also agree if your MBP is working fine, then there is no rush to buy I would just wait it out. the new MBP should be pretty impressive and you'll be happy you waited.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
I have a working 08 and 11 mbp. Hrm, I must be impatient . . .
That makes two of us.

I'm waiting for the new Mac Pro to (hopefully!) come out . . .

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I'm in the same exact boat as you. I'm waiting. No point in switching now...it's not like your MBP is THAT slow that it is mandatory to upgrade...right?

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Quote:
it's not like your MBP is THAT slow that it is mandatory to upgrade...right?
Unless he's like my Dad, 1 Browser, 5 windows and 10-20 tabs per window.
I go crazy when I try and use his system. Everything you do has a average 3-5 sec delay because of the system is RAM and CPU starved… Hope he doesn't read this forum

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
bronsonart

bronsonart is on a distinguished road

Yeah, my 08 MBP is working fine, especially since I recently upgraded from 10.4 to 10.6!! Still need to go all the way and get Lion... Anyhow, just prolonging the inevitable full-out replacement scenario. If something big is forthcoming, I'll hang on and go for that instead!

Thanks all!
QUOTE Thanks
2headedboy

2headedboy is on a distinguished road

This is actually an extremely helpful thread that I'm glad I stumbled apon this morning.

I bought a mbp 15' 14 days ago (today) and I'm contemplating actually returning it today for a full refund.

I was not aware that the new mbp might be coming out within the next month or two. J

The retinal display alone is something that I would be VERY interested in, and can manage a month or two without the mbp.

Problem is... there's actually no real word on when the 2012 mbp will be released. I'm going to play it safe and return for a full refund and try to wait it out.

Anyone have anything more concrete than speculations for a late Feb. 2012 release?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2headedboy View Post
Anyone have anything more concrete than speculations for a late Feb. 2012 release?
The only people who do, would never say a thing. It's not public information until announce, and Apple doesn't pre-announce.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Mightyquin

Mightyquin is on a distinguished road

I'll upgrade to 'last years model' and grab a bargain, hopefully!
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2headedboy View Post
I was not aware that the new mbp might be coming out within the next month or two. J
Could still be 3 or 4 months - who knows...

QUOTE Thanks
2headedboy

2headedboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
Could still be 3 or 4 months - who knows...
Yeah, looks like my mbp is in mid-cycle. I guess it doesn't matter. I'm very happy with the mpb and it would just be annoying to wait that long.

Atleast they have high resale value. I can always just sell and upgrade if I absolutely must have the new mbp.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Mac book pro software update stuck on moving ittrms | Maya »