New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP External display wrong resolutions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gavinh

gavinh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 15" MBP

Hi,
First post here (I have searched extensively for an answer to this and can't find one).

I hava a 2011 15" Macbook Pro, and I have just got an external display for it which is an LG W2242T. It is a widescreen display with a max-res of 1680x1050 px

I have it connected to my MBP with the VGA adaptor.

When I connect it, I only have square (or non-widescreen) resolutions to choose from. These range from 800*600 to 1920*1080 (which the display can not support). None of the resolutions available are widescreen.

I am not mirroring the displays. I have reset the monitor to factory settings, and I have purchased Display Maestro from the app store. None resolve the issues.

I have three attachments with this email, the res from the external display, my MBP display and the arrangement window.

Can this be resolved?

Thanks in advance.

LG 1680x1050
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The problem could be that you're using VGA. Often TVs can't display the full range of resolutions over VGA. However, the manual for your TV does state that the analogue max input is 1680x1050.

So the likely issue is one of drivers (there are Windows monitor drivers on the LG website, but nothing for Mac).

I think you have three options:
1. Contact LG and see if they have an OSX driver in the works (not likely)
2. Connect using DVI - I can see from your screenshots the TV isn't recognised by name, just as a vga screen. DVI allows the TV to communicate it's capabilities back to the Mac so you'll likely be able to select a more appropriate resolution.
3. Find a generic driver tool that allows you to dictate the outgoing resolution - something like SwitchResX.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro with no Screen - No picture on external | Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade »